Food The Perfect Glazed Ham

Buying prepackaged taco seasoning mix is so lazy and expensive. I don't want things like maltodextrin and yellow corn flour and partially hydrogenated vegetable oil in my seasoning. You may think differently, but hey, this is just an opinion. Making your own taco seasoning is so simple! Alton Brown's is my favorite but to get closest to the old el paso one I think the All Recipes one is the best.

I'm used to the Old Elpaso flavor and cost a buck. So not expensive, just lazy. But I bet the make your own would taste just as good, probably better.

• Gravy
Reactions: OOD
Ham belongs in a BBQ smoker. Want glazed? Pour a Coca-Cola over it now and then after its had a few hours to soak up the smoke. Or a dark beer.

Not a huge fan of really sweet, pinneapley ham, prefer just the BBQ smokiness along with its natural saltiness, but of course I'll eat shovels full of it anyway.

Ham belongs in a BBQ smoker. Want glazed? Pour a Coca-Cola over it now and then after its had a few hours to soak up the smoke. Or a dark beer.

Not a huge fan of really sweet, pinneapley ham, prefer just the BBQ smokiness along with its natural saltiness, but of course I'll eat shovels full of it anyway.
So...
What time should I be over?

• Gravy
Reactions: OOD and HipHugHer
Vegan Garlic Mashed Potatoes
4 russets
1 bulb garlic, peeled.
3 tablespoons Smart Balance spread
Unsweetened almond milk to taste

Wash and peel Potatoes.
Dice to approx 2 square inch pieces.
Place potatoes and garlic in an appropriate sized saucepan and
Boil til soft. Drain.
Mash in butter substitute then lace in almond milk to taste, salt to taste.

Serves 4.
Smart balance spread?

Seriously that's just nasty shit. Use the real thing or go home. No one wants vegan potatoes if they are eating ham for a meal. it's like making cauliflower for mashed potatoes. Gross.

Last edited:
  • Gravy
Reactions: Applesauce
Vegan Garlic Mashed Potatoes
4 russets
1 bulb garlic, peeled.
3 tablespoons Smart Balance spread
Unsweetened almond milk to taste

Wash and peel Potatoes.
Dice to approx 2 square inch pieces.
Place potatoes and garlic in an appropriate sized saucepan and
Boil til soft. Drain.
Mash in butter substitute then lace in almond milk to taste, salt to taste.

Serves 4.
Looks good but needs salt and pepper. though. I add the potato water to thin them, needs less margarine then.

• Gravy
Reactions: nukes
Smart balance spread?

Seriously that's just nasty shit. Use the real thing or go home. No one wants vegan potatoes if they are eating ham for a meal. it's like making cauliflower for mashed potatoes. Gross.

While I tend to agree with you, of all the nasty plastic chemical based spreads, Smart Balance is my favorite. My sister uses that crap and I don't HATE it.

I just don't understand people that choose a specialty diet and wind up eating crap that is really bad for them because of it. Vegans, those gluten sensitivity nutters, the Paleo people that wind up eating a ton of mercury containing fish, all of them. Crazy. Just eat some fucking delicious food and quit worrying about it. The worry will kill you before anything else. And most of the animals you are eating wouldn't have even existed if it weren't for the food industry so don't think twice about killing them. Just try to eat the ones that aren't all amped up on hormones and antibiotics if you can help it. If you can't, don't fucking worry about it. Again, the worry will kill you.

Man, I'm taking this food thread way too seriously. Where is my bong?

While I tend to agree with you, of all the nasty plastic chemical based spreads, Smart Balance is my favorite. My sister uses that crap and I don't HATE it.

I just don't understand people that choose a specialty diet and wind up eating crap that is really bad for them because of it. Vegans, those gluten sensitivity nutters, the Paleo people that wind up eating a ton of mercury containing fish, all of them. Crazy. Just eat some fucking delicious food and quit worrying about it. The worry will kill you before anything else. And most of the animals you are eating wouldn't have even existed if it weren't for the food industry so don't think twice about killing them. Just try to eat the ones that aren't all amped up on hormones and antibiotics if you can help it. If you can't, don't fucking worry about it. Again, the worry will kill you.

Man, I'm taking this food thread way too seriously. Where is my bong?
I hated Smart balance the last time I tried it. My dad uses something and I'm not a fan of it. I don't mind a simple blend (real butter & oil blend - like single ingredient oil like olive or such) but I'm really not a fan of margarine anyway. I'll tolerate them but prefer the real thing or olive oil to it.

Don't get me started on the Paleo diets... ugh. But yes, eat as good as you can when you can and try not to worry. I do have some no way at all in my house (artificial sweeteners) but nothing that is really hard to avoid.

I have dairy allergies. They are extremely slight.
When I cook from scratch I try to be good to myself.
Oh well in that case, I am very sorry. A good friend of mine had a legit dairy allergy (not even intolerance) and I saw how bad it was for her. I'll forgive you for that because being allergic or even intolerant is a real PITA.

I thought you were just trying to be 'healthy' or something. I'll pick on you for your lack of love of cloves instead :p

Smart balance spread?

This so much.

Seriously, margarine is vegetable oil that's first run through the same chemical process that's used to make paraffin from fuel oil at an oil refinery. Then there's some water and stabilizers added to it to give it the same physical properties (texture, melting point, whatever) as butter, followed by food coloring and artificial flavor to make it look and taste like butter. That shit isn't food, it's flavored wax.

There's lots of things you could replace it with in that recipe and still make kickass mashed potatoes. Butter's a mixture of oil and water, replace it with something that's also oil and water. Olive oil and vegetable broth. Or fuck it, ranch dressing.

Oh well in that case, I am very sorry. A good friend of mine had a legit dairy allergy (not even intolerance) and I saw how bad it was for her. I'll forgive you for that because being allergic or even intolerant is a real PITA.

I thought you were just trying to be 'healthy' or something. I'll pick on you for your lack of love of cloves instead :p
Youre always picking on me for something.
What's the matter, is Coqui insufficient?

• Gravy
Reactions: OOD
He's not as much fun to pick on especially when watching football. I joke with you out of love :heart:
I know what you're up to.
He comes in hours later, sees you in dialogue with a man, and the jealousy ensues.
One thing leads to another...
Smart chick, but Im on to you.
Good thing I'm a romantic, I approve.

• Gravy
Reactions: OOD and helenabear
I have dairy allergies. They are extremely slight.
When I cook from scratch I try to be good to myself.

I totally get allergies. I'm allergic to bananas, but it's not slight. Touching a banana might send me to the hospital. Parents love to let their kids wander around while eating those fucking things too. It's like the world is trying to kill me.

I also can't eat onions, msg, nitrates, artificial sweeteners, sulfates, tyramine in high concentrations, or citric acid in high concentrations. All that causes migraines for me. It blows.

I know what you're up to.
He comes in hours later, sees you in dialogue with a man, and the jealousy ensues.
One thing leads to another...
Smart chick, but Im on to you.
Good thing I'm a romantic, I approve.
Can't blame a girl for working things in her favor right? we still have time to go in the game too so I am killing time...

• Gravy
Reactions: nukes