Ontopic The new car-seching thread

Just realized I have another rabbithole of CL and Marketplace parts to look for.

Need some better valve covers than the crappy rusted ones on Rosie right now. Center-bolt SBC means vortec engine, yeah?

Came up with a solution to the molding mounts: glued a stainless M5 bolt with a countersunk head into a countersunk hole.

I lost the little star nut for the molding emblem, so I'm waiting on the Amazon prime collector's edition pack of star nuts, but come Wednesday, I should be back on track to having moldings back on.

Driver side (which had broken) repaired:messages_0(4).jpeg

Original passenger side:
messages_0(5).jpeg

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
Dropped the seat off for upholstery repair at the same shop that replaced a panel in the 240Z's seat, and dropped the wheels off across the street from there for cleanup and powdercoating. Getting new tires on it too. Probably gonna blow up because of all that attention though.

Had a second look at the pressure plate bolts for the Pontiac and realized that the flywheel isn't machined to accept them in the 11" diameter holes. The holes weren't deep enough, and weren't machined for the shoulders that should be there. Not sure what Summit's thinking was behind that one, as the inner 10.5" clutch bolt holes are machined correctly, but here we are. I guess I could have looked for some 3/8-16 to 7/16-14 studs, but nobody had those in town.

So, I took it all over to the bridgeport at my friend's house and made the holes correct. Also ordered a 3/8-16 bottom tap to fully tap the holes tomorrow before I put the clutch and flywheel back together on the motor. As it stands, I'm pretty happy with where they are, and the bottom tap isn't strictly necessary, but it will make me feel better about it.

Last edited:
Had a second look at the pressure plate bolts for the Pontiac and realized that the flywheel isn't machined to accept them in the 11" diameter holes. The holes weren't deep enough, and weren't machined for the shoulders that should be there. Not sure what Summit's thinking was behind that one, as the inner 10.5" clutch bolt holes are machined correctly, but here we are. I guess I could have looked for some 3/8-16 to 7/16-14 studs, but nobody had those in town.

So, I took it all over to the bridgeport at my friend's house and made the holes correct. Also ordered a 3/8-16 bottom tap to fully tap the holes tomorrow before I put the clutch and flywheel back together on the motor. As it stands, I'm pretty happy with where they are, and the bottom tap isn't strictly necessary, but it will make me feel better about it.
That was definitely the correct solution

I'd call and get annoyed at Summit, if they're shipping out something that should be machined already and isn't.

Not everyone has a friend with a bridgeport.

I'd call and get annoyed at Summit, if they're shipping out something that should be machined already and isn't.

Ah, id figured it was the part on the car already that wasn't machined right, not the new part.

Although I have fixed new parts before that weren't tapped right or had missing countersinks

That was definitely the correct solution
I wonder sometimes about aftermarket parts.

However, machining the $170 flywheel to accept the $30 bolts seems like a bit of a reach. I've left several annoyed reviews of Summit's in-house brands. The universal wiring harness that had 22 gauge wires to power the headlights on a 5A circuit, for example. That purchase wasn't entirely wasted, as now it's mostly just a source of copper wiring for my other projects.

These are all new parts, for what it's worth. The bolts are ARP, the clutch is McLeod, and the flywheel is Summit Racing. The concept of shoulder bolts for a pressure plate isn't new or novel however, and I'm not sure why they missed it on the outer ring.

This is the second one I bought, after I tried to tighten down the fasteners the first time and cracked the side of the fucker. If I'd been thinking about it before yesterday, I'd have tried to return the old one.