Ontopic The new car-seching thread

Ginger Squirrely Dan GIF by Crave

Nope. Chubby had two, maybe three different plunger lengths for their master cylinders. The plunger that is on the booster is a long one. The MC is a C3 unit, but third gens all had the short plunger.

Pedal is rock hard when installed
ah, so the MC seats but the plunger rod is wrong?

The "Right Stuff" GM brake booster I bought for the Pontiac came with a couple different sized plunger rods to swap around. Good luck.

So KBB just offered us $4k for our 2012 Subaru. Totally gonna take that as I don't trust driving it all the way to Austin. We'll get something else when we're there.
is it unreliable? I have an 03 forester I'd trust to drive to austin from here, after I did changed the ball joints I've been putting off.

So, today:

we have an idling engine (vacuum port on carb covered with a rotted, cracked cap, replaced and we were golden.)

With an idling engine, we have a fully warmed up engine. Phenomenal oil pressure, nice steady temps when warmed, good throttle response, moderately easy starting, etc.

Verification on why the shift cable broke, and a halfway thought out path to fixing

We do not have a good MC (pictures of all to come later when I have good interwebs) and less than no brakes.

Semi-frustrating, especially as I have to travel 4+hrs one way to get to her, so I only have every other weekend to work on her. If I can't get her running reliably soon I fear we might lose the shop

But here. Have a video

@CletusJones

I mean, it sounds like it runs pretty good so once you get your shift cable and brakes sorted you should be golden. Brakes are cake, get the kind of line you can bend without a bender. If you're going to do a lot of lines, get the eastwood flare tool. I got one when I redid all the lines on the e30 years ago and while the price was a lot, the ability to bang out flares in like 15 seconds made it worthwhile. I fear no brake job at this point, lol

It looks like you're pretty close to living your roadkill bestlife and I'm a little jealous.

Yeah, a new MC is $30. Won't even need to do any line bending.

Shift cable is gonna be an asspain, I think. It's a Lokar system and the guy at tech support is goin "uh, sir. That kit ain't supposed to go on that machine." So I'm gonna have to fabricobble something and hate life when it doesn't work.

Found a set of Pirelli Scorpions on TireRack nicely discounted, and only $50 more/tire than the no-name JY tires, so those got taken back.

• Gravy
Reactions: CletusJones
Ugh.
No matter what I mix and match its gonna take at least $120 to get Rosie's shifter fixed. Damnit.

Has a Lokar column shifter. The cable end snapped off it. The cable alone is gonna be $80ish, and then I have to buy enough odds and ends that also broke that it's up to $118 before shipping.

Or I swap over to a more generic design (such as B&M) and hope I don't have to modify the shifter portion at the column and get to $130 before shipping.
can you not just swap in some junkyard floor shift contraption to get'er home?

Yeah, a new MC is $30. Won't even need to do any line bending.

Shift cable is gonna be an asspain, I think. It's a Lokar system and the guy at tech support is goin "uh, sir. That kit ain't supposed to go on that machine." So I'm gonna have to fabricobble something and hate life when it doesn't work.

Found a set of Pirelli Scorpions on TireRack nicely discounted, and only $50 more/tire than the no-name JY tires, so those got taken back.
that shit is the worst. don't tell me it doesn't go there, I already did it. tell me what replacement parts I need for fucks sake

It is not unreliable. It's just my brain is crazy.
Yeah my subí 01 Forester was great. It only got totalled cause my brother ran it into a fire hydrant, then the next day rear ended someone. (I think he was drunk) causing a rift in the family where I have no idea where he is and he hasn't spoken to us for 13 years. (He also drained 35k out my bank account and used it to buy a new truck which he also totalled)

Last edited:
The sperm whale sperms again.
messages_0(8).jpeg

messages_0(9).jpeg

Decided I'm going to have the body shop mount the bumper to the crash bar, so I finished drilling out the rivets for rivnuts:
messages_0(10).jpeg

Then got my favorite hardware on it, some stainless M5s with fender washers:
messages_0(11).jpeg

Picked up the motor for the Pontiac yesterday. Then realized the gasket set I have has a 4-piece oil pan gasket, so I've got a new single piece ordered, along with an 8 to 11 bolt timing cover conversion kit.

I ordered that because it gets me a ton more pulley options for the water pump and a better design on the pump divider plates. Should have way better cooling capacity because of it.

Anyway, this time I'll definitely measure bearing cushion for the clutch, so I don't wear out the thrust bearing prematurely again.

#GoodAtMath