Ontopic The new car-seching thread

Heavily built is ok for me as long as the long term reliability is there but the old lady will be using this thing too so whatever it ends up being has to be pretty much turn-key get in and go, reliable for long trips, and not having to have an understanding of how turbos or performance stuff works or having to be watching boost gauges or messing with extra controls, etc.

She needs to be able to just drive it like you would a completely stock anything else.
She's not dumb. She can drive a stick, knows to watch for overheating, check the oil and the tires and simple stuff like that but mechanically inclined or some performance car operator she is definitely not.

View attachment 17176

They left off my favorite method of "get out the acetylene torch and turn the fastener into liquid", but I suppose that's forgivable.
Neat.

I use orange pb blaster quite a bit. Seems to work well enough if you're patient.
Dad was a liquid wrench man.

ATF+acetone are main ingredients in a thing called "ed's red" which is a home mix gun cleaning solvent and lube. Works good for all kinda other machinery too.

They're popular here.
The interiors are plain Jane as can be, and some of the coverings feel cheap.

They are fast AF though.

They're popular here.

They are fast AF though.

• Gravy
Reactions: NukesII
Let me know if it looks like its heavily built. I'm sure I could find someone that would be willing to buy it or trade it for a running vehicle so they have a playtoy.
'ppreciate it.

Ideally I'd like it to just be our car that I turned all the bolts on like our others have been but will ask you about it if it turns out things are just too built to pull back to some kinda normal or is highly desirable for whatever reason.

They're popular here.

They are fast AF though.
That was in response to Maureen's Tesla ride.

I do some work out there from time to time. Drove a lot of model Y's. They're supposed to be like the family car Tesla but they'll still shit and git.
2 motors. AWD. Traction control, anti-slip and all that. Quick but you'd have to disable or rewrite some software or something to let it squeal the tires, haha.

Interior coverings on the base models at least are cheap. Wears through where you rub against it all the time getting in and out or where you always grab the door handle or steering wheel, etc.

Also the rubber pad on the brake pedal is missing/fallen off on most of them. I guess they figured that part wouldn't get stepped on very much?

It's like they got some things really right and then some things are like wtf what idiot thought this was ok and how many other idiots agreed and let it make it all the way into production.

That place is weird.

'ppreciate it.

Ideally I'd like it to just be our car that I turned all the bolts on like our others have been but will ask you about it if it turns out things are just too built to pull back to some kinda normal or is highly desirable for whatever reason.
If it is built, I may also be able to find someone with a solid engine that they'd be willing to trade. Again, let me know.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
One thing I can say about Tesla is they do at least have some sense of humor.

One of the menu sections on the screen in the car is for emissions testing.
Not having a tailpipe that (kinda) doesn't apply.
So they set up that section so you can choose from a variety of fart sounds, then select which speaker you want to play them.
So when I get a batch of new hires and I'm showing them around or taking them to where they're gonna be training that day or whatever, I set that up so I can discreetly touch a button on the steering wheel and make it sound like the girl in the right rear seat let out a little squeaker, then the guy on the left side ripped a big wet one and stuff like that.

What makes it extra cool is I can let one go manufactured from the previous nights tacos and beer at the same time I play the sound from the other seating position. Then you got the smell to go along with and people's first experience on their first day at their new job is getting blamed for farting in the car and not being able to deny it 'cause there's just too much evidence.

One thing I can say about Tesla is they do at least have some sense of humor.

One of the menu sections on the screen in the car is for emissions testing.
Not having a tailpipe that (kinda) doesn't apply.
So they set up that section so you can choose from a variety of fart sounds, then select which speaker you want to play them.
So when I get a batch of new hires and I'm showing them around or taking them to where they're gonna be training that day or whatever, I set that up so I can discreetly touch a button on the steering wheel and make it sound like the girl in the right rear seat let out a little squeaker, then the guy on the left side ripped a big wet one and stuff like that.

What makes it extra cool is I can let one go manufactured from the previous nights tacos and beer at the same time I play the sound from the other seating position. Then you got the smell to go along with and people's first experience on their first day at their new job is getting blamed for farting in the car and not being able to deny it 'cause there's just too much evidence.
Well damn boi

• Haha
Reactions: HipHugHer
Well damn boi
Also they don't come with a spare tire or jack or any of that stuff.
I asked a guy about that thinking it was just 'cause they're beta testing models or whatever, won't ever be sold to the public but he's like nope.
The bit of extra cargo space under the floor is a higher priority to their target market and they're not the kinda people that would ever change their own tire anyway.
Those things aren't exactly "budget" cars. The people who get them are the type that would just call roadside service for the slightest little thing no matter what kinda car it was. Basically deep pockets but dysfunctional outside whatever their narrow little lucrative specialty is.

Mostly to hold things other than hoses, like broken bits of office chairs for example.

What's wrong with decent quality worm clamps? Yeah the cheapy thin ones will definitely cam out on you or rust away, but the decent stainless one seemed just fine. Granted I only use them in pressure application up to like 60 psi

What's wrong with decent quality worm clamps? Yeah the cheapy thin ones will definitely cam out on you or rust away, but the decent stainless one seemed just fine. Granted I only use them in pressure application up to like 60 psi
The majority are not decent quality, is the problem. And even if they are decent quality it is still a shit design.