Ontopic The new car-seching thread

I need another truck exhaust manifold so I can make this work.

I thought I'd be able to do this, but the patterns don't match.
mGAGwSi.jpg

So I cut up the other one I had. Gonna go for an exit somewhere around Cyl #4
qyu2gmS.jpg

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum
Might have one more go at glazing, there are a couple spots I'm not 100% happy with.

Before sanding (obv)
messages_0(10).jpeg

2nd coat of primer
messages_0(9).jpeg

Not really worried about the edges of the grill, as they've got coverage when the grill is in, but there's one license plate hole that's still a bit proud of the surface, and some stuff that needs addressing on that side that the deer hit.

Fer real.
When is the last time you drove off of pavement, Kiki? If you can't answer that, get something else.

An AWD car will work for the cold seasons. Plenty of them out there.
My brother had a 92 discovery I think. It had the handling of a small tank and got like 5mpg in the city. That's when it wasn't broken waiting for parts. It also only burned premium gas.

I'm sure they're a bit different now but given the price and features it does seem more like a status symbol.

You could get a fully loaded Ford Explorer or a 4Runner for way cheaper if you're dead set on a 4x4 SUV.

• Gravy
Reactions: Mr. Argumentor
I'm convinced that the TCO and repair/maintenance issues are a way of advertising you have enough money to not be troubled by any of it. They're for people who have enough money to buy any car moreso than people who have enough money to buy a Disco. For people who would only know of any problem when they were informed they would have to choose another car today.

I wish 😂 there was a 1986 land cruiser for sale around here that kept getting posted. Dude wanted 60k for it.
You could probably get that for a really nice Defender. IIRC lots of an LC (axles and such) is built for a 25yr life while most cars are built for 10yr. Like old German luxury that will run forever, not modern luxury stuffed with bleeding edge tech that will break just out of warranty. If you're spending big money on a big vehicle it's the "thinking person's" car.

LC is the old money SUV: it's a Toyota so it doesn't draw too much attention but it's built to a quality befitting jumbo babies. I know a Von Lastname who has 4 of them from throughout the years all in excellent shape except the working truck that plows and moves stuff around the property..

Last edited:
jenkum is right, its a status symbol that costs a lot of money to buy, and to own for no good reason

the Discovery is a status symbol????
i know the range rover is but the discovery?
i had no idea.
it’s also not that expensive is it? well in comparison to the range rover.

i was curious about it cuz it’s big and kinda what i’m steering towards in terms of size that’s all

My brother had a 92 discovery I think. It had the handling of a small tank and got like 5mpg in the city. That's when it wasn't broken waiting for parts. It also only burned premium gas.

I'm sure they're a bit different now but given the price and features it does seem more like a status symbol.

You could get a fully loaded Ford Explorer or a 4Runner for way cheaper if you're dead set on a 4x4 SUV.
tires for my Dad's range rover growing up, because he felt the need to be snooty rather than just driving an old jeep like everyone else were like 1600 dollars because they were some stupid off size like 22.5

tires for my Dad's range rover growing up, because he felt the need to be snooty rather than just driving an old jeep like everyone else were like 1600 dollars because they were some stupid off size like 22.5
I hate buying tires so much, going to have to spend like $3500 on bus tires here soon. :(