Ontopic The new car-seching thread

Power windows in the truck stopped working. There's something called a GEM (generic or general? electronic module) that controls the auto-down function along with some other stuff that the internet says is a fairly common thing to go bad in these trucks. So that thing got added to my junkyard shopping list.

In the meantime I ran a (fused) hot wire to it to at least be able to make the windows work. Well I don't know wtf I read wrong in the wiring diagram but I clearly missed something. The passengers side still doesn't work at all but at least the drivers side goes up when you press up on the switch for the drivers side. To make the drivers side window go down you now press up on the switch that's supposed to be for the passengers side window, lol.
I'm supposed to be better at this but whatever, good enough for now. Maybe next week or the week after I'll get the little black box GEM thingy and put all the wires back the way they were.

To clarify I ran the hot to the power input of the double switch module in the drivers side door/armrest, not to the GEM.
Should be real f'n simple. Middle position doesn't connect anything. Rocking it either way sends power to the window motor for that switch. One way makes it go down, other way reverses polarity to the motor so it spins the opposite way to make it go up. Easy, right?
I somehow got both "ups" making the driver window go up and down but both "downs" don't do anything to the passenger window and I'm beginning to doubt my own senility. Had to just leave that shit alone and come back to it another day with a fresh head.

Power windows in the truck stopped working. There's something called a GEM (generic or general? electronic module) that controls the auto-down function along with some other stuff that the internet says is a fairly common thing to go bad in these trucks. So that thing got added to my junkyard shopping list.

In the meantime I ran a (fused) hot wire to it to at least be able to make the windows work. Well I don't know wtf I read wrong in the wiring diagram but I clearly missed something. The passengers side still doesn't work at all but at least the drivers side goes up when you press up on the switch for the drivers side. To make the drivers side window go down you now press up on the switch that's supposed to be for the passengers side window, lol.
I'm supposed to be better at this but whatever, good enough for now. Maybe next week or the week after I'll get the little black box GEM thingy and put all the wires back the way they were.
I don't remember what vintage your ford is, but new ones all do that shit on the CANbus network rather than hardwired switches.

The windows on my Pontiac and Datsuns go up and down with a crank, so there isn't any electrics running into the door.

• Love
Reactions: HipHugHer
I replaced the wastegate solenoid in the Audi with one that's available (a VW part) and working, which is more than I can say for the original in the Audi.

But it would only hold 15PSI of boost.

So I had to replace the wastegate spring with something more beefy too. Now it peaks out around 26-27PSI on a 1.9bar (14PSI) spring, instead of 15PSI on a 7PSI spring.

Finally got the GTO's issues nailed down. Gained 20 horsepowers (305-325), and 15 ft-lb (424-440) of torque, and made more power pretty much over the whole band.

dynorunShare_0.png

A rundown of the differences:
Quickfuel 675 vacuum secondary carburetor (old) vs. Holley Sniper fuel injection (new)
MSD Billet ready to run 8528 distributor (old) vs. Sniper-controlled Hyperspark capacitative discharge ignition (new)

The Sniper unfortunately feels like someone's undergrad engineering project, and I had to make some significant, irritating changes for it to work consistently - had to tuck all the wiring into a grounded mesh sleeve, run far, far away from the spark plug HT leads, had to design and print low-profile Bosch EV6 fuel injector connectors (the Holley solution is one side getting clipped in, with no cavities in the plug body, just the female leads floating around, hopefully touching the injector male terminals), had to remake their wire harness so that it works with their solid state relay setup (since it requires no RFI on the power or ignition switched power lines).

If I had it to do again, I'd probably go with the Edelbrock Pro4, which is an MPFI system with 8 fuel injectors, a throttlebody, and a computer controlled distributor all in one box.

Hey @gee,

I'm looking at the Holley Sniper manual to setup the IAC/enrichment stuff for when the AC compressor kicks on, but it's saying the input is "Optional - Connect to a ground triggered A/C relay", and it's labelled "-" in the connector (as opposed to "+", I suppose).

My AC compressor (like most of them, I think) takes a single wire, that gets +12V when activated. Do I need to add another relay to this shitbox that'll take the trigger voltage off the wire that runs the AC clutch that connects the lead from the Holley to ground?

Hey @gee,

I'm looking at the Holley Sniper manual to setup the IAC/enrichment stuff for when the AC compressor kicks on, but it's saying the input is "Optional - Connect to a ground triggered A/C relay", and it's labelled "-" in the connector (as opposed to "+", I suppose).

My AC compressor (like most of them, I think) takes a single wire, that gets +12V when activated. Do I need to add another relay to this shitbox that'll take the trigger voltage off the wire that runs the AC clutch that connects the lead from the Holley to ground?
I'd do relay. You could do it with a MOSFET or optocoupler or something for a solid state solution, but relays are easy.

Coil in parallel with the AC clutch, one contact to ground, one contact to the Sniper input. All you need.

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum
Really didn't feel like going to the store today.

messages_0(7).jpeg

Gonna have to clean that bastard, the boy always puts it away without cleaning it up.

Air filter was off so we could clean the bowl and replace the fuel line, GADDAMM ETHANAL BOOLSHIT!

Really didn't feel like going to the store today.

View attachment 15979

Gonna have to clean that bastard, the boy always puts it away without cleaning it up.

Air filter was off so we could clean the bowl and replace the fuel line, GADDAMM ETHANAL BOOLSHIT!
FYI they sell alcohol free petrol for machines like that. I gotta drive deep into Clover for such beverages.

FYI they sell alcohol free petrol for machines like that. I gotta drive deep into Clover for such beverages.
It only bothers me once a year, when I roll it out for the first time since the previous fall.

This year, the fuel line had gummed itself shut. I was a little surprised when the bowl came off and the jet didn't leak any fuel at all, but I've got plenty of fuel line.

A Ford Ranger owned by this guy:
Tom Cruise Goose GIF by Top Gun