Ontopic The new car-seching thread

So I went to get my oil changed. NOT AT JIFFY LUBE. Anyway, I didn't know Corollas had a cabin air filter (my last two cars didn't the grand marquis and the neon) so they showed it to me and it was the original one for the car :lol: It was bad. They were like we can replace it for $53! I was like yeah nah you just showed me where it is and how to take the glove compartment out. Got a new one for $20 at Advance. Doesnt smell like farts anymore!

So I went to get my oil changed. NOT AT JIFFY LUBE. Anyway, I didn't know Corollas had a cabin air filter (my last two cars didn't the grand marquis and the neon) so they showed it to me and it was the original one for the car :lol: It was bad. They were like we can replace it for $53! I was like yeah nah you just showed me where it is and how to take the glove compartment out. Got a new one for $20 at Advance. Doesnt smell like farts anymore!
behind the glovebox one right?

It's been a busy couple days.

New clutch kit is in, and transmission is back in the Corolla. I can shift gears and push the clutch and everything feels right.
All three transmission mounts are back in. Including my sketchy-ass welded-back-together rear transmission mount.
Driveshafts back in, front suspension back together.
Broke the 12 volt stud off the starter, drove to a U-pick scrapyard and got another one to stuff in. Brought my cordless impact and holy fuck I can't imagine going to a scrapyard without one now.

To do: buy new axle nuts I forgot to buy, find a bendy funnel to get the gear oil into the transmission because the fill hole is on the damn side of the thing, get the battery/airbox/wipers/cowl/whatever all back in the car, put it on its wheels and hope for the best.

It's been a busy couple days.

New clutch kit is in, and transmission is back in the Corolla. I can shift gears and push the clutch and everything feels right.
All three transmission mounts are back in. Including my sketchy-ass welded-back-together rear transmission mount.
Driveshafts back in, front suspension back together.
Broke the 12 volt stud off the starter, drove to a U-pick scrapyard and got another one to stuff in. Brought my cordless impact and holy fuck I can't imagine going to a scrapyard without one now.

To do: buy new axle nuts I forgot to buy, find a bendy funnel to get the gear oil into the transmission because the fill hole is on the damn side of the thing, get the battery/airbox/wipers/cowl/whatever all back in the car, put it on its wheels and hope for the best.
Dude cordless impacts are awesome. I keep mine in the trunk.

Buyyyyinnnggg a car with my friend today. Managed to find a 2011 Chevy Cruze for way cheap. High milage but the only other stuff we found were some very questionable 20 year old hondas for about the same price (one had a new radiator and front bumper and they tried to tell me it wasnt in an accident).

Buyyyyinnnggg a car with my friend today. Managed to find a 2011 Chevy Cruze for way cheap. High milage but the only other stuff we found were some very questionable 20 year old hondas for about the same price (one had a new radiator and front bumper and they tried to tell me it wasnt in an accident).
Hoo boy

The Hondas may have been the better choice. Can't imagine buying a car rn.
One was an 04 accord, and an 02 civic. It was a detail shop selling them and I could hear the transmission grinding on one and the other had the new radiator, new fan, new bumper and rattled like crazy. Both were 5k. They wouldnt let me take them out of the lot either so couldnt get them to highway speed.

The cruze was a private sale, manual transmission, new clutch a few years ago, new blower this year. No antifreeze leaks (listed as most common problem). The head looked like it might need a new gasket so I got 800 off the asking price. The lady who owns it had every single service record including oil changes and seemed "organized" for lack of a better word. All the work has been done at the same shop etc. Said she got a new car and only has one parking spot. She also let us test drive it at highway speed and it seemed solid.

We've been looking for about a month and honestly most stuff sells in a few hours. She said she had had a bunch of people look at it but when they saw the american anti theft device they dipped.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer