Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

Soooo I sold my house. Gotta be out of here in 10 days. Then 21 days in limbo and moving into a new place. Moving from where the ocean meets the woods, to where farm country meets a small industrial park.

The new place has infloor oil heat + a ductless heat pump in the main living area. I'm gonna be doing some efficiency upgrades right away - upgrading attic insulation, replacing the air exchanger with a more efficient one, and whatever else has to be done.

What's everyone using for smart thermostats and crap?

Sounds like a downgrade in location.
Current house is on a hill. Makes for a great view of the ocean, except I don't have a backyard (10 feet behind the house, it's woods going uphill) and my front yard is useless. And my driveway is a downhill walk from the house. Plus we use about half our house - after 12 years there, a view of the ocean from the sunroom is "yup, the ocean's still there"...

And I won't miss "hey neighbor with a kubota, can you come dig another trench for me?", having to fuck around with property drainage. Don't buy a house on a hill. Lesson learned.

The new house is on flat fucking property, with a huge backyard that I can actually do shit with and the dogs are gonna love (holy shit, I can play fetch with a dog without getting in the car and driving somewhere!) and it's got an attached 2 door garage so I can actually start getting up to some projects.

So yeah, location is a bit less pretty but it's a hell of a lot better.

Soooo I sold my house. Gotta be out of here in 10 days. Then 21 days in limbo and moving into a new place. Moving from where the ocean meets the woods, to where farm country meets a small industrial park.

The new place has infloor oil heat + a ductless heat pump in the main living area. I'm gonna be doing some efficiency upgrades right away - upgrading attic insulation, replacing the air exchanger with a more efficient one, and whatever else has to be done.

What's everyone using for smart thermostats and crap?
ecobee. Google fucked the nest by making it non-interoperable with anything except nest.

Also, eww, oil.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
ecobee. Google fucked the nest by making it non-interoperable with anything except nest.

Also, eww, oil.
Oil sucks, but I'll take it over the electric baseboard the current house has.

Napoleon makes a really neat hybrid wood/oil boiler that I'm looking at. Wood heat is cheap as dirt, and oil is there as a seamless backup if I'm away from the house.

Inspector shows up finally.

There's 2 more panels on the front roof than there are on the submitted design.

FAIL.

:rolleyes:

"The office will be reaching out to you shortly".

And I will be short with them.

im guessing its not cause you got bonus panels eh

Hmm. Nest E versus ecobee 3 lite.

We're not using alexa or siri in the house, we just have a google home mini in the kitchen, and both of us have android phones. So being locked into the nest ecosystem isn't really a huge issue.

The province will reimburse us $100/thermostat for up to 5 of the things, which is the number of heating zones we have. So if one of those thermostats goes on for $149 CAD or something on black friday, I'm gonna buy a pile of the things.

Shame that we can't tie the ductless heat pump into the system easily.

Hmm. Nest E versus ecobee 3 lite.

We're not using alexa or siri in the house, we just have a google home mini in the kitchen, and both of us have android phones. So being locked into the nest ecosystem isn't really a huge issue.

The province will reimburse us $100/thermostat for up to 5 of the things, which is the number of heating zones we have. So if one of those thermostats goes on for $149 CAD or something on black friday, I'm gonna buy a pile of the things.

Shame that we can't tie the ductless heat pump into the system easily.

be aware the ecobee3 lite wont control external devices (whole house fan, humidifier, etc). Also, i dont think it comes with an additional temp sensor. Which is super handy.

Yup. Infloor radiant heat throughout the house, spread across 5 zones. Basement, kitchen/dining, living room, master bed+bathroom, spare bedroom... if I recall correctly.

If the ecobee will tie in the ductless, I'll go that route. I forgot to nab the model # on the thing, it's a Fujitsu (I think) that's only a couple years old.

And the zone wiring is stupid easy - 24V + heating call. It's done with 4 wire telephone cable so I can add a C wire easily, thankfully.

Yup. Infloor radiant heat throughout the house, spread across 5 zones. Basement, kitchen/dining, living room, master bed+bathroom, spare bedroom... if I recall correctly.

If the ecobee will tie in the ductless, I'll go that route. I forgot to nab the model # on the thing, it's a Fujitsu (I think) that's only a couple years old.

check first. Mitsubishis generally have a built in normal thermostat interface. Others might require a module.