Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

Well I found out where the extension cord running under the house goes to. It's in the utility room. They took the time to do that and didn't even use a cord with a ground. There was an identical cord with ground in the utility room.

• Sad
Reactions: Jehannum
Well I found out where the extension cord running under the house goes to. It's in the utility room. They took the time to do that and didn't even use a cord with a ground. There was an identical cord with ground in the utility room.
Just replace it with some 10/3 stapled to the studs and a box + receptacle in the utility room.

• Gravy
Reactions: OOD

That’s some mobile home rigging if I ever heard it. Maybe the previous owners were also former mobile homers.

• Gravy
I'll add it to my to-do list. I'm starting to enjoy going to Lowe's. I think I'll be okay with the plethora of Lowe's gift cards I'm going to receive for Christmas.
On the bright side, you can unplug the extension cord, cut it in half, and use the halves to fish either end up through the walls to where you need it to be.

• Gravy
Reactions: Domon, Josh and OOD
I had a neighbor who put a Y adapter on his front faucet and ran a hose under the house to his back yard and plumbed it to a fitting, then another faucet.

The people who bought the house didn’t know about it and being somewhat negligent, never bothered to shut off the outside faucet and insulate it for winter, and the hose burst.

Then they spent the next four months in a motel while they had sub flooring etc replaced. There was over a foot of standing water under their house before it got pumped out.

I had a neighbor who put a Y adapter on his front faucet and ran a hose under the house to his back yard and plumbed it to a fitting, then another faucet.

The people who bought the house didn’t know about it and being somewhat negligent, never bothered to shut off the outside faucet and insulate it for winter, and the hose burst.

Then they spent the next four months in a motel while they had sub flooring etc replaced. There was over a foot of standing water under their house before it got pumped out.
I've replaced all my sillcocks with frostproof ones after having a bad experience with something like that here in NM.

Original pipes in the old house were 1/2" cast iron, uninsulated, in a ventilated crawlspace which was fine up until we had a deep, deep cold snap in 2006 (talking < 0°F(reedumb) for 6 days), then the sillcock on the front managed to burst and take most of the main run of cast iron with it.

I replumbed with Pex, and insulated, but fuck was that an annoying couple of days.

• Gravy
Reactions: Josh and Immigrant
I hate being without water.

Living in a mobile home park that is aging, we have water shut offs WAY too frequently and some last all day. No advance notice. There used to be separate shutoffs for each “sector” of the park (it’s 500 homes) but the shutoffs became problematic to they don’t use them and just shut off everything instead.

I just sold my house but I’m still going to live here for awhile.

• Sad
Reactions: Josh
That’s some mobile home rigging if I ever heard it. Maybe the previous owners were also former mobile homers.
I for one would never have done that to my trailer. Only because it came with outside outlets. But I would have at least made sure it had a ground.

• Gravy
Reactions: Immigrant
I for one would never have done that to my trailer. Only because it came with outside outlets. But I would have at least made sure it had a ground.

I had one working faucet that was removed when new meters were installed. I had to have a second one installed in a different (better) location. I could’ve done it myself just a few short years ago. 😦

• Sad
Cabinet was in the way of the breaker box so I repurposed it.

You can take the man out of the trailer park but you can't take the trailer park out of the man.

• Love
Reactions: HipHugHer
Now I can get in the attic without breaking my neck. This thing can extend to 13 feet and fits easily in my car.

• Gravy
Reactions: Valve1138