Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

The finish guys started scabbing the drywall and patching the stucco.

messages_0(9).jpeg

messages_0(10).jpeg

I need to clean up, but the doors are so much quieter than the French door with the outside sealed.

No, for 24/7 recording. Frigate will be used for alerting.
Frigate can do 24/7 recording too.

What you need to do is enable 24/7 recording, and then set up your events properly, so it tags those with metadata and pulls them from the recording files.

What you're probably seeing is that you cant both save snippets of video around event, and also 24/7 recording. But you dont need to, as events are metadata, not recordings.

Frigate can do 24/7 recording too.

What you need to do is enable 24/7 recording, and then set up your events properly, so it tags those with metadata and pulls them from the recording files.

What you're probably seeing is that you cant both save snippets of video around event, and also 24/7 recording. But you dont need to, as events are metadata, not recordings.
I can't even get clips or snapshots sent to my phone yet. :lol: Good to see it can do 24/7 recording.

I see mention that I should get a dedicated drive that's rated for surveillance. Is that actually true? I will get a drive for this, as there's no way I'm going to write this crap to the array.

I can't even get clips or snapshots sent to my phone yet. :lol: Good to see it can do 24/7 recording.

I see mention that I should get a dedicated drive that's rated for surveillance. Is that actually true? I will get a drive for this, as there's no way I'm going to write this crap to the array.
no, its fuckin' fine. With even a medium sized drive you're never gonna be write-lifetime limited unless you have like 50 cameras.

why not write it to the array? Its mostly just archival

Why are you interested in 24/7 recording when you can use Frigate or Shinobi or Zoneminder (or even the camera itself in most cases) to do motion identification for archiving clips?
I use it regularly to check on things across cameras.

Mostly to check when the cats were last seen and in what direction they went in :D

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
I use it regularly to check on things across cameras.

Mostly to check when the cats were last seen and in what direction they went in :D
I know logic is hard for a robot, but let's see if we can work this out together:
Cats are generally in motion when you're looking for them in this use case
Cameras/software doing motion-detection-based video capture will capture video when motion is detected
Therefore, it's more efficient in this case to use a motion identifying capture system.

At the very least, it'll give you a list of motion detections that you can follow up on viewing.

Having an RTSP stream to some kind of thing you can look at on your phone/computer/TV/farm animal/whatever might be a good security blanket for you, but it's not actually helping the situation you've identified as your use case.

yeah, that works until you're 40 feet out from the camera and the cat vs squirrel motion detection is indeterminate, and i dont give a fuck about squirrels.

no, its fuckin' fine. With even a medium sized drive you're never gonna be write-lifetime limited unless you have like 50 cameras.

why not write it to the array? Its mostly just archival
Two reasons, fuck writing constantly through a FUSE layer. And also fuck constantly writing dual parity. I don't really care if I lose camera data.

• Gravy
Reactions: Domon
Why are you interested in 24/7 recording when you can use Frigate or Shinobi or Zoneminder (or even the camera itself in most cases) to do motion identification for archiving clips?
Because
* motion doesn't always capture everything
* sometimes I want to see what happened xx sec/mins before or after the motion

I have both motion and 24/7 cameras and the 24/7 cameras come in handy way too many times.

Because
* motion doesn't always capture everything
* sometimes I want to see what happened xx sec/mins before or after the motion

I have both motion and 24/7 cameras and the 24/7 cameras come in handy way too many times.
If motion doesn't capture everything, then you've mis-configured.

Mine have a definable window of before/after detections, so when I get a detection, I get about 3 minutes of video.

And we've got a fuckton of space, so who cares.

If you want to put a shitload of write cycles on it, I guess that's your prerogative. It's a dumb idea and you'll never use it though.

If you want to put a shitload of write cycles on it, I guess that's your prerogative. It's a dumb idea and you'll never use it though.
I use it every day to check the driveway camera and see what happened overnight. Take about 30 seconds and I don't have to click through 30+ motion videos.

• Gravy
Reactions: Domon