Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

variable duty cycle compressors and variable duty air handlers take more than just a HURR DURR on/off switch that the Ecobee/Nest are.
The Bosch isnt a communicating compressor, so it doesnt need to talk in depth to the thermostat. Whats actually throwing a loop is the 5-stage air handler. Because the air handler DOES talk to the compressor, and ecobees cant handle a 5 stage (or variable speed) air handler.

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum
The Bosch isnt a communicating compressor, so it doesnt need to talk in depth to the thermostat. Whats actually throwing a loop is the 5-stage air handler. Because the air handler DOES talk to the compressor, and ecobees cant handle a 5 stage (or variable speed) air handler.
That's good, because the proprietary Bosch thermostat looks like it came out of a fucking Panzerkampfwagen IV.

that said, the days of luke-warm heat pumps are gone. Was 34 out last night, and it was pushing out air hot enough that I really couldnt distinguish a difference from oil heat.
Was it 34 last night? I had the window open and felt more like 45

Suggestions on outdoor cameras? Prolly makes sense to do them PoE. Reddit mostly said Reolink.
Reolink is solid. I have Amcrest, who are also solid.

Honestly if I had to redo my whole system these days though? Id consider for ease of use one of the smart systems. Despite their recent security-fuck-ups, I still like Eufy functionality the best.

you can use the smart features, or you can pipe the RSTP stream just like you would with an amcrest or reolink, so kind of the best of both worlds.

plenty of Eufy cameras with plugs (that i do 24/7 recording with)

the amcrests are all just re-branded dahuas.

You looking for bullets, or turrets? I actually think i have 4 or 5 spare amcrest 4k

Remote access, or recording?

Eufy is local-only recording, but cloud based viewing.

Amcrest/reolink/dahua also are all local only, but have remote viewing capability

Are they local only? That's my other requirement. I don't like the idea that an LEO can just take my recordings.
My home security guy recommends Dahua N85DJ62 cameras.

They save to an SD card, an SMB mount, and/or an NFS mount. I have the older version of them that only record in 4k for several years now, no complaints.

@fly heres a good analysis of all the traditional straight-POE non-smart cams that matter

This guy is really analytic and good.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly