Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

because motion only tags in.

Specific scenario: Dropped keys in back yard someplace

Found when I walked through the backyard with motion, saw keys were still around neck on lanyard. Dialed forward and back in the 24/7 stream to find the point when I no longer had the lanyard around my neck. Then dialed into the specific point where it dropped and noted my location.

Motion events are just that, events. I needed the full stream to narrow in.

because motion only tags in.

Specific scenario: Dropped keys in back yard someplace

Found when I walked through the backyard with motion, saw keys were still around neck on lanyard. Dialed forward and back in the 24/7 stream to find the point when I no longer had the lanyard around my neck. Then dialed into the specific point where it dropped and noted my location.

Motion events are just that, events. I needed the full stream to narrow in.
That's... not how motion detection events work.

They record all the motion, plus a fixed period before and after (I have it configured for 1 minute).

So, I would get the video of you dropping your lanyard, and not have a billion hours of footage to swipe through.

the actual problem with motion events is that theyre usually not continuous. Motion is detected, recorded for a set period, and then theres either a cooldown or another event.
"I can't figure out how to reasonably configure a moving window algorithm" doesn't mean that motion detection is useless.

So yeah, you don't understand what I'm doing and how well it works. Got it. How about you keep your garbage system and I'll make a good one!
NO UR SYSTEM IS GARBAGE

I like how mine is simple, reliable, and doesn't need me to look at it constantly. But you do you. I'm sure you're WAY better than computers at analyzing footage at many times actual speed.

Or maybe you could do like @Domon and come up with something that didn't happen that doesn't even demonstrate how what you're describing is useful!