Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

Not a lot of love for OpenSprinkler in this thread.

I just set up my bhyve. It's completely average. The app is like largely featureless and looks like it was designed by a high schooler.

That said, it works for simple stuff like watering on a schedule

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
I just set up my bhyve. It's completely average. The app is like largely featureless and looks like it was designed by a high schooler.

That said, it works for simple stuff like watering on a schedule
I have the Rachio. It waters based on local temps and shit. I don't ever open it.

Ya, I suppose at the end of the day, its a sprinkler. It's not that complex. I like the dynamic aspect of the one I have, so that I'm not over/under watering. But I assume they all have that these days.

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum
Ya, I suppose at the end of the day, its a sprinkler. It's not that complex. I like the dynamic aspect of the one I have, so that I'm not over/under watering. But I assume they all have that these days.
yep, they all do, it's just that you can see the math that goes into the Opensprinkler one instead of it being a black box like the Rachio or any of its competitors.

When I was a kid my uncle had a module at the tap which he could set the tap to run for however long he liked. He used it with sprinklers, and for topping up the pool. I'd imagine nowadays there would be ones with app interfaces.

When I was a kid my uncle had a module at the tap which he could set the tap to run for however long he liked. He used it with sprinklers, and for topping up the pool. I'd imagine nowadays there would be ones with app interfaces.
Yet another time on UF where the most simple basic fundamental shit needs to be spoon fed.

• Gravy
Reactions: Domon
Does seem in his hot & dry climate a basic clock-controlled one would be fine. Run the same shit every day. :p
I had one of those, but I don't like going out into the garage to re-set it every 3 months. Much easier to do it via wifi. That it extends or reduces watering time based on weather is just gravy for me.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
I had one of those, but I don't like going out into the garage to re-set it every 3 months. Much easier to do it via wifi. That it extends or reduces watering time based on weather is just gravy for me.
I have one of those, came with the house. Deal for us is, unless the grass is "dying", we don't water. This summer - we didn't water, grass was fine. I flip on a hose that is connected to 2 sprinklers for my garden, but that's a whole 'nuther ball game.
I think the app one's are great - I just wanted to join in. Working from home and bored-like.