Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

No - but my eyes do get a bit like that if I smoke too much weed. :fly: Some friends used to call me "Felix the Cat" because of that.
View attachment 12516

Mine same. Also blood red. Clear Eyes permanent part of EDC.

Cracked one of our homegrown eggs this morning and got a double yolk. Living in the land of plenty over here.

• Love
Reactions: wetwillie
...and this is why you don't mix metals in plumbing.

View attachment 12518

How this got green-tagged by the inspector is beyond me, but the damn things have been replaced with brass nipples now.
They started life as black pipe running gas to a stove :fly: Looks like you were lucky and they came out fairly cleanly. Not everyone should be layin pipe. ;)

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
They started life as black pipe running gas to a stove :fly: Looks like you were lucky and they came out fairly cleanly. Not everyone should be layin pipe. ;)
I think they were mild steel, not black pipe. They were installed between the brass valves and the inlet/outlet copper lines to the water heater.

Still, not the thing you want connected to a copper pipe. There's one more there, on the pressure diverter valve, but in substantially better condition, probably owing to not having any water in it.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
I'm posting this here cuz its a home thing... but wtf at our usage in August compared to April... we were literally stuck in the house in April and out and about more in Aug using (IMO) less electricity.. the Aug bill was $344 compared to regularly being $90-$110 :egads::egads: wtf!

Screen Shot 2020-09-21 at 9.03.08 AM.png

• Gravy
Reactions: Josh
I think they were mild steel, not black pipe. They were installed between the brass valves and the inlet/outlet copper lines to the water heater.

Still, not the thing you want connected to a copper pipe. There's one more there, on the pressure diverter valve, but in substantially better condition, probably owing to not having any water in it.

Galvanized. Our place is full of that stuff for all the water lines. They eventually rust through from the inside out like that where they're connected to more of the same stuff too. Not just where it connects to dissimilar metals.

I think they cut the threads after the galvanizing process so not protected from rust at the fittings.

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum
I'm posting this here cuz its a home thing... but wtf at our usage in August compared to April... we were literally stuck in the house in April and out and about more in Aug using (IMO) less electricity.. the Aug bill was $344 compared to regularly being $90-$110 :egads::egads: wtf!

View attachment 12519
Air conditioning?

^ this.

Anything that changes temperature takes a lot of juice.

but THAT much from June to Aug in terms of AC?
this is the highest month we’ve ever paid .. ever

Look back through weather data and it'll make sense. Not just high temps but duration. Meaning did it just hit a peak in late afternoon or was it hot most of the day, etc.

View attachment 12519
That's wack. Ours was about $220 for 2900 sq. ft. of shit built house in mid-Michigan. Pretty much locked at 72.

Galvanized. Our place is full of that stuff for all the water lines. They eventually rust through from the inside out like that where they're connected to more of the same stuff too. Not just where it connects to dissimilar metals.

I think they cut the threads after the galvanizing process so not protected from rust at the fittings.
Yeah, galvanized was the thing tickling the back of my brain when I was typing.

The zinc from the galvanization is the sacrificial anode when touching copper in the presence of an electrolyte.

Electrolytes, they've got what nipples crave.

• Gravy
Yeah, galvanized was the thing tickling the back of my brain when I was typing.

The zinc from the galvanization is the sacrificial anode when touching copper in the presence of an electrolyte.

Electrolytes, they've got what nipples crave.

Ours has been connected to probably all the different types somewhere or another from repairs over the years. Brass, copper, pvc, stainless.....likely due to whatever was available that day because the water was going to be shut off until whoever it was got back from the store with something that fit.

Haven't had any problems from that yet but likely just because they're more recent repairs while the rusted fitting thing is in the old/original pipe. Someday I imagine the galvanic type corrosion will take out some of those repairs too but if things go right I won't be living here anymore by then.

Place is a real mishmash of patchwork over a lot of years.

Ours has been connected to probably all the different types somewhere or another from repairs over the years. Brass, copper, pvc, stainless.....likely due to whatever was available that day because the water was going to be shut off until whoever it was got back from the store with something that fit.

Haven't had any problems from that yet but likely just because they're more recent repairs while the rusted fitting thing is in the old/original pipe. Someday I imagine the galvanic type corrosion will take out some of those repairs too but if things go right I won't be living here anymore by then.

Place is a real mishmash of patchwork over a lot of years.
At my old place, I ripped all of that shit out and ran PEX on a copper manifold. Worked a treat, but the house was pier on beam construction, so I had access to everything from below.

• Gravy
At my old place, I ripped all of that shit out and ran PEX on a copper manifold. Worked a treat, but the house was pier on beam construction, so I had access to everything from below.

This place pier&beam too, can get at everything but I don't own it. Take care of repairs and things myself in exchange for cheap rent and a landlord who doesn't give a damn what I do here as long as she doesn't get nasty letters from the city.
Neighbors aren't nosey tattletale types to report anything either.
Wait til after dark to cut up the bodies and it's easy living.

This place pier&beam too, can get at everything but I don't own it. Take care of repairs and things myself in exchange for cheap rent and a landlord who doesn't give a damn what I do here as long as she doesn't get nasty letters from the city.
Neighbors aren't nosey tattletale types to report anything either.
Wait til after dark to cut up the bodies and it's easy living.

• Gravy