Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

Yeah, no.

This specific kit gets you to about R4, as expanded polystyrene is about R4 per inch of thickness.

But go on with your bad self. I'm sure you've got a long post queued up about how I'm wrong and you're right and I don't know shit about shit.
Generally that's how it goes man - you shut down badly. 6R /inch. Polysterene is crap imo - unless you are buying exterior grade like for under stucco, it shrinks badly. Kinda a fire hazard.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Super-T...-4-ft-x-8-ft-Foam-Insulation-267642/100322372

Last edited:
So, Some kind of blown in insulation and an insulated but vented door would be ideal. But!

I should have explained much better.
I live in a "Townhouse". It's attached on both sides to the next guys house.
My kitchen is above my garage.
The house looks like 3 stories out back and 2 our front.
I actually have a shared wall on both sides.
So I gave very limited options.
Or at least a limited imagination on what to do with it.

I'd start with Ed's double wall deal on the common wall and see how far that gets you. The dead air space between is where the magic happens. Decouples the inner wall from the outer so the sound doesn't resonate and transfer through as easy.

@fly - I was looking at keezers(new to me) and ah, it's the lid of the freezer you'r replacing with the keezer cover. Without a pic we're all just arm-chair quarterbacking this.
Buy deep freezer, build a collar with insulation and place between lid and freezer, install taps on collar.. That's the high level gist.

• Gravy
Reactions: Amstel
Buy deep freezer, build a collar with insulation and place between lid and freezer, install taps on collar.. That's the high level gist.
That's what I thought. So.....
Build nice decorative lid about 2" bigger than freezer, with about a 3" lip hanging down. Line all with high-quality, not polystyrene, foam board of a thickness that makes it a nice press fit over said freezer. Sounds kind of like one half of a square-ish bass guitar case. :)

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
That's what I thought. So.....
Build nice decorative lid about 2" bigger than freezer, with about a 3" lip hanging down. Line all with high-quality, not polystyrene, foam board of a thickness that makes it a nice press fit over said freezer. Sounds kind of like one half of a square-ish bass guitar case. :)
So here is ours. The lid is what came with the original freezer.

1537378281924.png

Inside of the collar (just wood frame with insulation glued to it):
1537378239430.png

More images of our random brewing stuff here: https://www.instagram.com/dickcreekbrewery/

• Gravy
Reactions: Amstel and Strings
What, if anything, do you have other than kegs in there?

If you cant increase the R value, you may be able to increase the amount of "cold" that you retain within the keezer.
CO2 bottle, dehumidifier thingy, a fan to move the airflow.... I really don't understand what the second part of your post is about.

So here is ours. The lid is what came with the original freezer.

View attachment 4681

Inside of the collar (just wood frame with insulation glued to it):
View attachment 4680

More images of our random brewing stuff here: https://www.instagram.com/dickcreekbrewery/

I wrote a story a ways back about a guy who kept his abusive father's head in a hat box above a freezer just like that one.
He kept bodies in the freezer and would make molds from them to make statues.
All while the father verbally abused him from the box. He even looked a little like fly.
The guy not the father.
Not sure why I shared that but there ya go.

CO2 bottle, dehumidifier thingy, a fan to move the airflow.... I really don't understand what the second part of your post is about.

Fill the freezer with stuff so there's cold mass in there instead of empty space/air. Will run more efficient, and keep itself cold longer if the power goes out.