Ontopic The 3D printing thread

I mean, it's 7x7 compared to the 8x8 of my Anet's old print bed, but that's a pretty small difference. It'll still do 3-4 tap handles in one shot. If you need something bigger done on a rare occasion, get someone else with a bigger printer / local tech shop / online printing service / etc to do it.

The main reason I recommend it is because it's a Prusa, so it'll "just work" with great print quality right off the bat, and you won't be having to print off a bunch of extra shit or buy extra parts to bring it up to an acceptable standard. And the price ain't bad.
Yeah, for 80% of what I do it would be great, but that last 20% is always such a pain.

For fly, it would probably be a wonderful starter printer.

@fly
As you can see just from these last half dozen posts, a 3d printer is as involved a hobby as PC building, project cars, or anything else worth doing. There's no real wrong path, unless you do what I did and buy a chinese clone of a knock off of a german printer then start modifying it before it actually works.

Just expect to spend a minimum of $250-500 with at least half that again in the first year.

Asa: I can come over and see if it’s right.
Fly: Aw, no need to. I’d rather not impose.
Asa: It’s no big deal, I really want to come over.
Fly: I’m sure the next ones will work, just measure...
Asa: I FUCKIN WANT TO COME OVER
Fly: I’m willing to buy my own stuff.

Honestly, wait a couple months for this thing to come out, and avoid the frustration of dealing with a chinese printer.

It looks like its available now. Since I have a knowledge base of exactly zero, it would be nice to start with something that just works. Can you guys explain what the upgraded options do, and if they are worth it?

Asa: I can come over and see if it’s right.
Fly: Aw, no need to. I’d rather not impose.
Asa: It’s no big deal, I really want to come over.
Fly: I’m sure the next ones will work, just measure...
Asa: I FUCKIN WANT TO COME OVER
Fly: I’m willing to buy my own stuff.
No way! He's welcome any time. As are the rest of you.

I'm a total nerd and I really feel like I'm missing the nerd boat here by ignoring 3D printing.

It looks like its available now. Since I have a knowledge base of exactly zero, it would be nice to start with something that just works. Can you guys explain what the upgraded options do, and if they are worth it?
PEI sheets textured Vs smooth, some filaments dont adhere to a smooth surface very well. If you want to play around with a bunch of filaments it might be worth grabbing.

Sensor - tells the printer if you've run out of filament so it will pause printing. Useful in a production environment or similar, not as useful at home where you will be watching. Still may want to get it cause you might forget to check on it or think that you have enough filament but oops you dont.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
I think they're accepting pre-orders, but they're not shipping now.

I'd definitely spring for the filament sensor, if you run out of filament or have the filament crack (which happens on occasion with filament that's full of moisture) the printer will pause and let you load in new filament. Plus if you run out of filament without the sensor, you'll have to partly disassemble the printer to remove the filament that'll get stuck in the feed tube, which is quick but a bit of a pain in the ass.

Definitely go for the textured PEI sheet.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
Super stupid question. Does it just connect to my PC via USB or something?
You can do that, or you can plug a thumbdrive with a print file onto it.

Or use wired ethernet, or use wifi (which sounds like it's coming soon?)

Some do, some have wifi, some you plug an SD card or USB stick in. Depends on what you get.

The prusa has USB capabilities, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it have wifi

Super stupid question. Does it just connect to my PC via USB or something?
Don't. Use USB only for a serial console connection for dumb stuff like updating firmware. For printing, shuffle the code onto an SD card.

Power management on the PC will fuck up your prints.

I bet they are. The resin isnt cheap and I know the printer wasn't.

I dont know that you ever said what printer he got?
Actually the resin isn’t that bad. It’s 20 bucks for 500ml and he uses about 4ml I think he said per mini. It’s all the safety/curing gear that doubles the start up price. The printer was about 250.
He’s joined a monthly subscription for 10 a month that gives him a bunch of those high quality minis to use and finds some free. It really isn’t that expensive, but I’m married to him so I have to give him crap. We’ve got the boys still playing with and using the other printer though. They aren’t allowed to play with his setup.

• Gravy
Reactions: Mr. Argumentor
Don't. Use USB only for a serial console connection for dumb stuff like updating firmware. For printing, shuffle the code onto an SD card.

Power management on the PC will fuck up your prints.
That's actually better. I have a table I can put it on in my office, but it's really not near the PC.

New filament.

19102599220191024215434.jpg