Ontopic The 3D printing thread

Started a print this morning. Bowden tube released after about the fifth layer. Printer proceeded to spool out about 10-15 feet of filament. All of it now has teeth marks so it doesn't feed right now.

:dont:

What software would I need to learn to be able to make my own dildos?
Any sort of CAD or solid-model software. I think you can even use Google SketchUp or whatever their program is.

Its similar to image manipulating software, from MS Paint Vs Photoshop. All different levels of expertise required, all different (but similar) tools to do work

• Gravy
Reactions: Immigrant
Of course, there is a pore issue with 3D printing, which is why I suggested a conventional molding. Like the factories do. Very easy to do, inexpensive. You don't need that kit if you are serious and can cut the cost considerably. This is something I have done(hands, feet, faces, ears - no penis').

• Gravy
Reactions: Immigrant
And how much would it cost me to get started, software, printer, filament, etc?
Woot typically has my printer (without any of the mods I've done) for about $200-250, if it isn't on there now wait maybe two months? Add ons you will probably buy within a year will run around $100-150.
Setup of that printer is easily within the capabilities of someone who can build a PC. Upgrades from it would be to a larger one (like the CR10, a complete package printer (like the ones Lulzbot offers) or a better print method (Formlabs SLA resin printer)

Software should be free unless you want to go uber l33t with Solidworks or something.

Filament is around $20-30 for a kg roll depending on brand, color, source, etc but the more exotic get up to $80/roll

• Love
Reactions: fly
Woot typically has my printer (without any of the mods I've done) for about $200-250, if it isn't on there now wait maybe two months? Add ons you will probably buy within a year will run around $100-150.
Setup of that printer is easily within the capabilities of someone who can build a PC. Upgrades from it would be to a larger one (like the CR10, a complete package printer (like the ones Lulzbot offers) or a better print method (Formlabs SLA resin printer)

Software should be free unless you want to go uber l33t with Solidworks or something.

Filament is around $20-30 for a kg roll depending on brand, color, source, etc but the more exotic get up to $80/roll
Do I need the larger printer? Have you 'outgrown' yours at all?

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum
Do I need the larger printer? Have you 'outgrown' yours at all?
There will be a day when I want the larger one, I'm ok with mine for now. You'll probably be ok with that size for yours for the most part. You can always cut the model into pieces and bolt it together.

I want to move on to the next stage of exotic materials, and I have the parts to do so, but I haven't had the time to install. In that sense I've outgrown the limitations of mine. I've also had a more accelerated path towards printing than you likely will.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
Honestly, wait a couple months for this thing to come out, and avoid the frustration of dealing with a chinese printer.

My print bed isnt much bigger, but I feel the 7x7x7" volume would get annoying.

Otherwise, yeah it's not bad

My print bed isnt much bigger, but I feel the 7x7x7" volume would get annoying.

Otherwise, yeah it's not bad
I mean, it's 7x7 compared to the 8x8 of my Anet's old print bed, but that's a pretty small difference. It'll still do 3-4 tap handles in one shot. If you need something bigger done on a rare occasion, get someone else with a bigger printer / local tech shop / online printing service / etc to do it.

The main reason I recommend it is because it's a Prusa, so it'll "just work" with great print quality right off the bat, and you won't be having to print off a bunch of extra shit or buy extra parts to bring it up to an acceptable standard. And the price ain't bad.

• Gravy
Reactions: Mr. Argumentor