Ontopic The 3D printing thread

Everyone I know who switched to Klipper has asked themselves why the fuck they haven't done it sooner. It's on my list of things to do, just haven't had the time to properly write up a configuration file for it.

Running a homemade 3D printer control board complicates things a bit.
Well, I'm pretty sure it just blew the 2208 on my extruder, so I have a bit of a jaundiced view right now.

I dropped back to the latest Marlin compiled through TH3D's website compiler, because I'm too fuckin' lazy to learn platform.io instead of the arduino IDE.

I fired off a benchy through octoprint to that, and maybe eventually I'll stick Klipper on it once I get comfortable using it this way.

As i tend to do yearly, I've deep dived into LED strip technology for blinky shiny addressable christmas lights.

Theres a new tech in LED strips call FCOB that looks like neon tubes, but fully addressable per centimeter or small number of mms.

I really want to jump into those, but right now they only come in IP30 and even though i plan to use them in a covered environment IP65+ is probably a good idea.

Also @fly ^^ nerdLED stuff

My quick read says those are awesome, but use a fuckton of power and need power injection everywhere.

they are power hungry, but theyre 24v, so power injection every 5m's or so seems ok. But yeah... 20W/m is a bit high.

on the positive side, stuff has gotten stupid cheap. I remember being priced out of what I wanted to do in 2021 because it was gonna be like 300 bucks. Same project now is less than 100.

The indirect LED lighting I put up in our plant shelves might be one of my favorite projects I've done this year.
what strips did you go with again? What draws me to the COP stuff is its not "spotlightey" I dont like this look:

71avtWImv3L._AC_SL1024_.jpg

I just want a nice even glow, ala

I just went with some basic 5V stuff I got a long time ago on Ebay. Since its a good bit away from the wall, its very soft and diffuse. Obviously you know this, but the spotlightey stuff goes away with even basic diffusion via distance or a medium.

I just went with some basic 5V stuff I got a long time ago on Ebay. Since its a good bit away from the wall, its very soft and diffuse. Obviously you know this, but the spotlightey stuff goes away with even basic diffusion via distance or a medium.
yeah, im being stupid about it and worrying about the lumen loss ill take from adding a diffuser

• Haha
Reactions: fly
they are power hungry, but theyre 24v, so power injection every 5m's or so seems ok. But yeah... 20W/m is a bit high.
:D i need a 500W 24v supply to do the project I wanna do. 60ish feet of those COB addressable strips on the porch