Ontopic The 3D printing thread

As i tend to do yearly, I've deep dived into LED strip technology for blinky shiny addressable christmas lights.

Theres a new tech in LED strips call FCOB that looks like neon tubes, but fully addressable per centimeter or small number of mms.

I really want to jump into those, but right now they only come in IP30 and even though i plan to use them in a covered environment IP65+ is probably a good idea.

Also @fly ^^ nerdLED stuff

It's not as addressable but aliexpress is covered in 24V, IP65, WS28xx LED strip, eg:

And you can buy silicone channel that you can run it through to make rope light.

Also, now you got me thinking, I've got a steel roof that magnets stick to pretty good + a fairly sensible slope on the front to climb up and put a design on.

Put a big star up there that occasionally flashes over to a pentagram.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly and Jehannum
It's not as addressable but aliexpress is covered in 24V, IP65, WS28xx LED strip, eg:

And you can buy silicone channel that you can run it through to make rope light.
I found a good version that's ip65 and cheaper to boot

Thanks. I actually did not find either of those. The gingsow is a weird # of LED/M, but the other one is actually 100 more per meter

PXL_20231130_190247907_5KbtvewX0k.jpg

Doing the first sign print on the work printer, using black PETG + clear PETG. Doing the remainder on the home printer, either by printing the clear part separate and gluing it in, or by doing manual filament changes, haven't decided yet.

PCBs shipped today and I should have them early next week.

Impromptu project. Outside part is black PLA, light up part is clear PLA which should hopefully act as a half decent diffuser. I'll stuff some LED strips in behind to light everything up. Browsing what's out there to figure out the best/easiest way.

Also I'm back to using OpenSCAD because Fusion 360 is being a dick about fonts.

View attachment 17964

... and 3 weeks and 2 days later:

PXL_20231210_235826680.jpg

I dunno, the new A1 bed slinger looks pretty kickass:

Multi-material for a stupid cheap price, force sensor bed probing and failure detection, 256mm^3 build volume, amazing out-of-the-box experience.

I'm just not all that familiar with these printers, how support works, how replacement parts work, etc etc. I basically built my printer from scratch at this point, and I can replace damn near anything if it breaks - I just don't want to be stuck if something plastic breaks or if some cloud computing that Bambu is running goes down or whatever. But that's just me.

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum

Multi-material for a stupid cheap price, force sensor bed probing and failure detection, 256mm^3 build volume, amazing out-of-the-box experience.

I'm just not all that familiar with these printers, how support works, how replacement parts work, etc etc. I basically built my printer from scratch at this point, and I can replace damn near anything if it breaks - I just don't want to be stuck if something plastic breaks or if some cloud computing that Bambu is running goes down or whatever. But that's just me.

I'm deep enough into the sunk cost fallacy that I'm unlikely to buy into another whole ecosystem. The flood of people coming in with their perfect, speedy benchies makes me feel like they haven't really earned it, but I do try and stow it mostly.

Their open source record isn't stellar. Other than that, its seemingly pretty good shit.

Got the firmware done. Here's a long rambly demo of the sign.

Ordered filament yesterday to print the remainder of fronts on my own printer.