Ontopic String's and Adi's gear & pedal thread

Why are people making a big deal about replacing 1/4" with speakon? Apparently 1/4" will kill you know but that never stopped people from using it in the past. Ive touched the metal on a 1/4" coming out of an amp many times and I'm still not dead. What am I missing?

Why are people making a big deal about replacing 1/4" with speakon? Apparently 1/4" will kill you know but that never stopped people from using it in the past. Ive touched the metal on a 1/4" coming out of an amp many times and I'm still not dead. What am I missing?
Don't fellate your 1/4" jacks.

• Gravy
Reactions: adi
they lock :hs:

There's an argument to be made for contact area. The 1/4" jack goes back to at least the early telephone system (also where we got the standardized rack space from). Couldn't buy a 1000 watt amp with a couple days pay back then.

In practice they still work just fine for what we do though.

I think Europe mandates speakon for anything over 500 watts or some such. Easier to just make em all the same to sell globally.

I'm thinking about running my cabs in series. That would make the total load 8ohms. Using the portaflex 500 they should get 175 watts each. I'm 57% sure that is enough.

• Haha
  • Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer and nukes
Oh shit actually it'll proba ly be more like 150 watts into each cab. Damn

The older you get, the more you'll appreciate the lighter bass. Jazz basses are usually notoriously heavy. Is yours made of basswood?
Balsa?
Lol
It's obviously made of basswood... it's a bass.

It's a 2000 affinity crafted in China so it should be alder but who knows.

• Haha
  • Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer and nukes