Ontopic String's and Adi's gear & pedal thread

Aren't some of the watts lost in other parts of the amp aswell, so an amp may use 100 watts altogether but not all of that is used to multiply voltage?

Ya the numbers I used were theoretical maths.

In reality some will be lost to heat, protection circuitry, power supply's ability to keep it up, etc.

• Gravy
Reactions: adi and OOD
The sansamp I have has a line out but I cant find anything about what the voltage of that line out is. I've always thought line out is an industry standard. They sure don't like to make it easy to find that information. Can I check that with a voltage/ohm reader?

Well, line level generally is higher voltage and doesn't knock the input impedance down like xlr.

Your DI (3 pin mic cable plug) is lower power and lower impedance so the mixing board "sees it" as just another microphone input.

Even the cheapest DI box has a little transformer in there that basically makes your bass signal "look like" another microphone.

• Gravy
Watts do have their place. They're not useless measurements. In our case it's better to think of them as a measure of heat instead of power.

It also helps avoid things like warranty returns and customer complaints.

• Gravy
Well, line level generally is higher voltage and doesn't knock the input impedance down like xlr.

Your DI (3 pin mic cable plug) is lower power and lower impedance so the mixing board "sees it" as just another microphone input.

Even the cheapest DI box has a little transformer in there that basically makes your bass signal "look like" another microphone.
Can always throw one of these after a low output preamp. Better to have a pre with the right output but this sure would open up options.

• Gravy
Reactions: adi
Can always throw one of these after a low output preamp. Better to have a pre with the right output but this sure would open up options.

I was gonna work another shout out to my beloved TubeMP in all that mess above but frankly I'm pretty proud of myself for keeping shit together as long as I did.

• Gravy
  • Love
Reactions: nukes, adi and OOD

technical pro?

getting hard to find them for some reason

I got an older Chinese Crown xls402 that's ran trouble free for a lot of years now and that's their budget amp. Old QSC mx700 same way. It's not their budget line but it's even older.

Peavey's ipr1600 should be pretty cheap. Light weight and all the power you'd ever need in a bass rig.

• Gravy
I got an older Chinese Crown xls402 that's ran trouble free for a lot of years now and that's their budget amp. Old QSC mx700 same way. It's not their budget line but it's even older.

Peavey's ipr1600 should be pretty cheap. Light weight and all the power you'd ever need in a bass rig.
yeah hips baba in fact i was checking out all these before i went for the crown, basically because i got a really good deal :p:D

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
If I were to get a new one it would be a switch mode lightweight like the IPR but these old ones won't break down and give me a reason lol.

• Gravy
After Saturday night's overdrive issue I stacked up all three heads on top of my cabinet and started A/B'ing them. As suspected, the one providing the most Distortion was the Mesa Boogie tube head. The close runner-up is the Eden class D head. The cleanest of the clean is of course the Hartke. I'm also not convinced I don't have a loose or cracked speaker cone in the lower half of my 212.