NSFW SPAMALOT V. I Iz In Yur Target Stealin Yur Infos

Status
Not open for further replies.
As someone who use to do the cover band thing, so stupid a record company / publishing company would sue a local cover band like this over copyrights! Bruce Sprinsteen recently opened a show in Australia playing "Highway to Hell" by AC/DC. I find it hard to believe he took the time to pay a licensing fee to BMI or whomever to play that song since it was a cover. Is somebody going to sue "The Boss" now? I think not. Musicians constantly on a wim get up and jam various cover songs spur of the moment. Should members of Pearl Jam and Soundgarden be sued for millions for all of the time they played "Rockin' in the Free World" together when they showed up at each others gigs? And what about open mic nights? Record and publishing companies dug their own grave by allowing free music downloading after seeing the backlash Metallica took for standing up to it and now they go after the little guys in an attempt to recoup some money. Sad shit.

http://www.clevescene.com/scene-and...ver-band-caused-great-and-incalculable-damage

Why is this news? Every bar or other venue that has music played (either live or recorded) has to pay a small license fee which then covers them for any music played. This venue didn't have a music license so it's being sued ( NOT the cover band). The article wittering on about how many other cover bands perform these songs is irrelevant. It's the venue that has to be licensed not the performer. This is nothing new and applies equally, I believe, to jukeboxes as well as cover bands. FWIW Springsteen doesn't have to pay a licensing fee but the venue will have done so. This is how many musicians earn a living as you can get significant royalties if your album goes on a national chain of jukeboxes.

Why is this news? Every bar or other venue that has music played (either live or recorded) has to pay a small license fee which then covers them for any music played. This venue didn't have a music license so it's being sued ( NOT the cover band). The article wittering on about how many other cover bands perform these songs is irrelevant. It's the venue that has to be licensed not the performer. This is nothing new and applies equally, I believe, to jukeboxes as well as cover bands. FWIW Springsteen doesn't have to pay a licensing fee but the venue will have done so. This is how many musicians earn a living as you can get significant royalties if your album goes on a national chain of jukeboxes.

Thank you for the explanation. Still, I think it is a little much. Maybe send them a letter saying, hey, this has come to our attention you need to pay this small fee instead dragging them to Federal court?

Thank you for the explanation. Still, I think it is a little much. Maybe send them a letter saying, hey, this has come to our attention you need to pay this small fee instead dragging them to Federal court?

I think you'll find they contact the venue a number of times before taking action. Only a moron would open a venue with music and not pay for a music license. Would you think it equally wrong if they hadn't got a liquor license? It's idiocy of the first degree.

As someone who use to do the cover band thing, so stupid a record company / publishing company would sue a local cover band like this over copyrights! Bruce Sprinsteen recently opened a show in Australia playing "Highway to Hell" by AC/DC. I find it hard to believe he took the time to pay a licensing fee to BMI or whomever to play that song since it was a cover. Is somebody going to sue "The Boss" now? I think not. Musicians constantly on a wim get up and jam various cover songs spur of the moment. Should members of Pearl Jam and Soundgarden be sued for millions for all of the time they played "Rockin' in the Free World" together when they showed up at each others gigs? And what about open mic nights? Record and publishing companies dug their own grave by allowing free music downloading after seeing the backlash Metallica took for standing up to it and now they go after the little guys in an attempt to recoup some money. Sad shit.

http://www.clevescene.com/scene-and...ver-band-caused-great-and-incalculable-damage

Super dumb

Just found out my cousin lost her battle with cancer. This officially makes way too many people in my family :/

:(:heart:
attachment.php

You don't even have to be a group/artist with releases to benefit from the license fee. PRS deals with the licensing and if you play enough gigs (10 or more I believe) and send in the set lists for the relevant dates played, PRS will pay you royalties for your performances. There is an amazing amount of unclaimed royalties that get siphoned by the biggest fish in the pond, currently Paul McCartney.

My parents' dog died in the night, and now my children are both upset.

I think the furry moron probably got snake bit on one of his walks, but that's really neither here nor there. Poor guy. He was way too young (7).

RIP Dozer.
Dozer1.jpg

I think the furry moron probably got snake bit on one of his walks, but that's really neither here nor there. Poor guy. He was way too young (7).

RIP Dozer.
Dozer1.jpg
:eekers: A real shame that happened.

Yardwork
I had forgotten about that shit until today
mow weedeat edge fertilize all that mess
But I did get the garden nicely tilled and now have planted what I hope will be a bountiful harvest

RIP Dozer.
Dozer1.jpg
:(

RIP Dozer.
Dozer1.jpg

That's awful - so sorry :(

Status
Not open for further replies.