Food Sous vide Chicken Thighs

MadDog

I eat shoelaces covered in porcupine feces
Jul 22, 2009
Seattle
Marklar
₥4,906
Bought an Anova a long time ago but never used it, finally got around to it today.

Decided to do bone in skin on chicken thighs for my very first cook. 165 degrees for 3 hours.

YLLnKws.jpg
[/

Ice bath to stop the cooking and to put in the fridge.

vwqLway.jpg

Pan fried it in vegetable oil for 3 minutes on a side. I think I could have got the oil hotter before hand.

fJpCiBB.jpg

Money shot.

7PuBxLp.jpg

Chicken was perfectly cooked, juicy and tender. Would eat again.

• Gravy
Reactions: hydra and APRIL
Right now I got some italian sausage in the bath to be used tomorrow in pasta. I always either overcook or undercook sausage in the pan so I'm cooking these 140 for 2 hrs then tomorrow I'll pan fry them before plating. That way they will be perfectly done inside + crispy casings. Next up is spare ribs which I'll do 24 hrs at 152 degrees. I'll post how that goes.

what wut?

you ice your food then you cook it then ice it then cook it and your do whatever it takes, ruin as many people's lives, so long as you can make a name for yourself as an investigatory journalist, no matter how many friends you lose or people you leave dead and bloodied along the way, just so long so you can make a name for yourself as an investigatory journalist, no matter how many friends you lose or people you leave dead and bloodied and dying along the way?

• Gravy
Reactions: Wessels
my favourite thing I've done sous vide so far was 24 hour lamb shanks. holy fuck they were awesome.

I'm told 48 hour short ribs is the way to go

Also, in the interest of food safety, you should have way more ice in your ice bath.

it doesn't matter a whole lot with chicken thighs which are a fairly short cook, but you should really cool that down quickly if you're putting it in the fridge. Lots of ice.

i dont see this as much better percentage wise vs just using a food thermometer.

I understand the concept, but i imagine its a minimal difference from just sticking a thermometer in the middle of your food and taking it out when its the right temp.

• Gravy
Reactions: Ledboots
i dont see this as much better percentage wise vs just using a food thermometer.

I understand the concept, but i imagine its a minimal difference from just sticking a thermometer in the middle of your food and taking it out when its the right temp.
It's cooking at much lower temperatures which changes the texture and taste of the food.

You would be wrong robit. By the time the center is done, the outside is technically overcooked. You science, come on!

Also, in the interest of food safety, you should have way more ice in your ice bath.

it doesn't matter a whole lot with chicken thighs which are a fairly short cook, but you should really cool that down quickly if you're putting it in the fridge. Lots of ice.
I can't imagine it matters. Everything in that bag has been rendered harmless.

and it doesnt get overcooked when you take it out of the sous vide and sear it? A hot sear probably brings up the outside 1/4 to 3/8s inch to a much much higher temp

and it doesnt get overcooked when you take it out of the sous vide and sear it? A hot sear probably brings up the outside 1/4 to 3/8s inch to a much much higher temp
Not even that far. When we did filet minon, it was MAYBE an 1/8". Amazing crust and the best rare steak you'll ever have.

• Gravy
Reactions: Amstel
165 is perfectly fine for chicken. The new standards even allow for 150, and standards are always conservative.

Not even that far. When we did filet minon, it was MAYBE an 1/8". Amazing crust and the best rare steak you'll ever have.
this

it eliminates that grey-ish area of well done on a medium rare steak (if you look at a cross section). The sear should be super hot and fast on a steak.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly