Food Sous vide Chicken Thighs

That sounds like a whole lot of extra work. I'll stick to baking my chicken tonight the way I usually do. I know it's best to cook for longer in lower temps but the whole having to have them in that bag and a bath just seems like a pain in the ass.

• Gravy
Reactions: Ledboots
That sounds like a whole lot of extra work. I'll stick to baking my chicken tonight the way I usually do. I know it's best to cook for longer in lower temps but the whole having to have them in that bag and a bath just seems like a pain in the ass.
Is it more work for better food? Possibly, but it's easier than you think. When we did it, we just used ziploc bags.

Is it more work for better food? Possibly, but it's easier than you think. When we did it, we just used ziploc bags.
Eh sorry, not my thing. I don't like wasting water and plastic like that. Chicken is such a simple meat that it doesn't matter what you do to it outside of grinding it for nuggets, it comes out tasting great. You have to severely overcook your chicken to get it to be nasty.

That said I will spend more time making my baked chicken tonight, but I don't want to sear it in oil just to get the crispy edge. I'd rather bake it nice and have it come out perfectly juicy with good flavor. This is just stupid and wasteful to me.

Huh? A big vat of water vs one small glass baking dish? Yeah not buying that.

You turn the oven on? My sous vide cooker uses the equivalent energy of a 60W bulb. And I don't have to wash out the vat of water because it just has water in it, so no soap or any of that.

It takes more energy to bake it and uses more dishes, so who's being wasteful now? :p

Heating 3 gallons (11.4L) of water, uses 0.64 KWH to reach the desired temperature.
(at $0.16 per KWH, that's about 9 cents)

Heating the water is a slow process. (One Hour)

Maintaining the same temperature for one hour added approximately 0.3 KWH, (5 cents). per hour to the costs.

Overall efficiency was ~ 68%.

So .64 KWH + .(3kwh)*3 = 1.54 kw's used to cook the chicken using sous vide

Electric Oven @ 350 consumes 1.0 kW.

Chicken takes about an hour to cook at 350.

Sous vide actually uses more.

Eh sorry, not my thing. I don't like wasting water and plastic like that. Chicken is such a simple meat that it doesn't matter what you do to it outside of grinding it for nuggets, it comes out tasting great. You have to severely overcook your chicken to get it to be nasty.

That said I will spend more time making my baked chicken tonight, but I don't want to sear it in oil just to get the crispy edge. I'd rather bake it nice and have it come out perfectly juicy with good flavor. This is just stupid and wasteful to me.
You don't have to like it. However, its superior to just cooking it in the oven/stovetop/grill.

You turn the oven on? My sous vide cooker uses the equivalent energy of a 60W bulb. And I don't have to wash out the vat of water because it just has water in it, so no soap or any of that.

doubtful. The anova is an 800W device. Even at maintenance after initial heating, its not gonna dip to 60. Should come down to about 150-180W to hold the water temp once you get it there.

doubtful. The anova is an 800W device. Even at maintenance after initial heating, its not gonna dip to 60. Should come down to about 150-180W to hold the water temp once you get it there.

I don't use an anova because they are less efficient. I use a sous vide supreme, which is covered and insulated.

ah, did not know that. I do not currently have data for any other brands. Im going off the anova in the op picture.

Okay that just grosses me out. Really. Not washing it out that is.

I'll be happy to stick to my pathetic archaic ways of cooking that the family enjoys.

Okay that just grosses me out. Really. Not washing it out that is.

I'll be happy to stick to my pathetic archaic ways of cooking that the family enjoys.
There is nothing wrong with the way you cook, if you enjoy it. Some of us prefer to cook differently, and arguably better. You should do you tho.

• Gravy
Reactions: MadDog