Ontopic So this doesn't suck as bad now...

we pretty much have to wait for the pathology report. they removed some lymph nodes around the section of colon they cut out, so they'll examine those to see if the cancer spread into them. If so, we may be looking at chemo, if not, we should be all clear, with follow ups later on, maybe in a year. Still not 100% on that. Should see pathology results in 2-3 weeks. That's the real big date for us, so we're not out of the woods yet. She's still high as a kite today, nausea at times. passed gas (just for your info drool), which is a big first step. eating small bits of jello now. stood up, sat in a chair, all baselines for today. tomorrow we work on walking a bit around the floor and her catheter comes out. Looking at getting her home Sunday or Monday so far....
I never understood why tests of any type have to take that long. Is it because the tests themselves take that long to perform (which I highly doubt) or it is because of a backlog? Either way it still seems shitty (no pun intended) to have to wait that long because the choice of procedures depends on it.

Good luck on the findings!

I never understood why tests of any type have to take that long. Is it because the tests themselves take that long to perform (which I highly doubt) or it is because of a backlog? Either way it still seems shitty (no pun intended) to have to wait that long because the choice of procedures depends on it.

Good luck on the findings!

It can be as fast as the next day. However, if there's calcium in the specimen, that can lengthen time. Also, because of what they're testing, they may want to do multiple tests as well as get a second opinion as well.

I never understood why tests of any type have to take that long. Is it because the tests themselves take that long to perform (which I highly doubt) or it is because of a backlog?
f33nx would probably know more but they told me they put them in paraffin and slice them then stain and it takes a couple days. During some surgeries they will freeze them them and slice them and it only takes like 20 minutes but is only done when they need an answer during surgery.

The biopsies on my mother's liver sections were done within the time frame of her surgery. She hadn't woken up yet and the pathologies were done.

Some places it may just be a back log. Maybe they have to wait for an oncopathologist to look at the sections. Maybe they're working up like 400 sections just to be sure. If they do it the old fashioned way, fixing the sections in a series of xylenes/paraffin/methanol/staining for all kind of ridiculosity/getting someone with a degree in reading all kind of ridiculosity, then it can take a while.

But, given that Mrs. Tre is still very much recovering, further treatment wouldn't even be an option in the next couple of weeks anyways.

Woohoo! Farting is good. I love it when they bother you every few hours asking if you have tooted or need to poo. Glad she's eating a bit. I wonder how bad it is going to hurt the first time she takes a dump. Poor girl. Anywho, sorry you have to go through the next 2-3 weeks. I hate waiting personally.

No poop yet, but we saw the surgeon today, and he said it shouldn't hurt to poop at all. She just has a limited diet for the next few weeks to avoid harder to digest things.

The biopsies on my mother's liver sections were done within the time frame of her surgery. She hadn't woken up yet and the pathologies were done.

Some places it may just be a back log. Maybe they have to wait for an oncopathologist to look at the sections. Maybe they're working up like 400 sections just to be sure. If they do it the old fashioned way, fixing the sections in a series of xylenes/paraffin/methanol/staining for all kind of ridiculosity/getting someone with a degree in reading all kind of ridiculosity, then it can take a while.

But, given that Mrs. Tre is still very much recovering, further treatment wouldn't even be an option in the next couple of weeks anyways.

In her case, they removed the lymph nodes around the part they took out - about a dozen I think, so that's where the pathology comes in - to see if there is lymphatic involvement. If there is, she'll likely have to do some chemo. If not - all clear, probably follow up in a year.

She may notice odd swelling in places now. Interruption of the lymphatic system can have side effects. After my cancer sh*t and the removal of my lymph nodes I began noticing slight swelling in my pelvic, knee, and ankle area. It's mostly gone now, a year later. It might be different due to the location of her surgery though.