So, just in case you were bi-curious,

Galen said:
Without reading the thread, let me guess. Pilonidal cyst?

Stop sitting on your ring.

To be entirely accurate, it is the second removal of the cyst. The first time it was removed, some hair got in under the stitches and it basically busted out again. This time they gave me that woundvac thing.

taeric said:
To be entirely accurate, it is the second removal of the cyst. The first time it was removed, some hair got in under the stitches and it basically busted out again. This time they gave me that woundvac thing.
They stiched it up first time? :wtf:... That's not correct.

theacoustician said:
Why didn't you just say "Bubbles, you're not good enough for me"?

Because I'm nothing special, and that implies I'm better than her, or that Shelly is. I'd take them both at the same time. There's enough of me to go around.

Galen said:
They stiched it up first time? :wtf:... That's not correct.

No, after I got it lanced the first time, they surgically removed it. Where the cut was for that, they stitched.

Was that not correct?

I had mine taken care of while in for other surgery. It was opened and cleaned out. After this was done, the area is left to heal on it's own and is packed and cleaned daily for a period of a few weeks. This is the correct procedure.

I have had the surgery done on myself, and I am also a medicine student with an interest in this area (especially the formation of a sinus. While painful, I bet you thought that was cool?) I have never, ever heard of a pilonidal cyst removal being stiched up. It needs to heal naturally or it will just come back again.

It mentions sutures in this article excerpt from wikipedia, but this is silly. This leaves the patient with no way to have the wound cleaned or packed.

Surgery on a cyst in the tailbone area involves cutting out the skin and flesh all the way down to the coccyx and allowing the body to regrow the ablated tissue. Varying methods are used to either pack the wound, or suture it partially and even completely

Well, I had no reason to second guess the doc. And to be fair, it may have worked, but I busted one of the stitches. After that, it was really no surprise that this came back. :)

Also, I would say it was cool that a cavity formed. But by the time I first went to the doc, it ruptured on the way there. I was too concerned with the fact that it hurt like hell to think about it. :)

I think the formation of a sinus to the cavity is amazing. I'd love to be able to see another one in the flesh again, perhaps even sit in on it's draining.

Galen said:
I think the formation of a sinus to the cavity is amazing. I'd love to be able to see another one in the flesh again, perhaps even sit in on it's draining.

Well, I've had these two pilonidals now. I've also had one on my face. Obviously not as big, but it formed over night and it looked like someone gave me a black eye.