Thread So is this better or worse? Organic?

Last edited:

Bullshit. Salmonella is considered a far lesser risk in free range birds, but then I'm talking about proper free range not US defined. There have been numerous studies that found a higher incidence of salmonella and other diseases in large flock intensively reared birds, particularly in egg production. Additionally, the use of antibiotics creates increased resistance.

http://www.worldpoultry.net/background/salmonella-thrives-in-cage-housing-7481.html

We had a major salmonella scare back in the late 80's when Edwina Currie lost her cabinet post after warning about UK egg production. We've been very aware of it ever since.

Free range birds are far less likely to carry most diseases than birds kept in close confinement with others and frankly, bird flu isn;t something I'm worried about.

far less likely? false.

Yes, it's a Whole-Foods, Feel-Good, compassionate warm fuzzy feeling projected when someone says 'free range.' It's a load of crap. Dangerous Crap.

17 days ago - Australia.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...forces-duck-cull/story-e6frg8y6-1226257731205

But if you want to wait until someone else tells you that birds from your area, that have been process for your consumption have just been found with the virus, that's fine. It's too great a risk to me. I don't feel good about putting myself in greater danger.

With your line of thinking, why bother cooking the meat up to 160? Why bother cooking it at all? Might not be anything wrong with it.

Bullshit. Salmonella is considered a far lesser risk in free range birds, but then I'm talking about proper free range not US defined. There have been numerous studies that found a higher incidence of salmonella and other diseases in large flock intensively reared birds, particularly in egg production. Additionally, the use of antibiotics creates increased resistance.

http://www.worldpoultry.net/background/salmonella-thrives-in-cage-housing-7481.html
That was a Swedish and a US study.

Campylobacter infection of broiler chickens in a free-range environment. Environmental Microbiology Volume 10, Issue 8, pages 2042–2050, August 2008

far less likely? false.

Yes, it's a Whole-Foods, Feel-Good, compassionate warm fuzzy feeling projected when someone says 'free range.' It's a load of crap. Dangerous Crap.

17 days ago - Australia.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...forces-duck-cull/story-e6frg8y6-1226257731205

But if you want to wait until someone else tells you that birds from your area, that have been process for your consumption have just been found with the virus, that's fine. It's too great a risk to me. I don't feel good about putting myself in greater danger.

With your line of thinking, why bother cooking the meat up to 160? Why bother cooking it at all? Might not be anything wrong with it.

I'm sorry to say you're being moronic. Most birds carry salmonella to some degree. Ask yourself how healthy a cage bird that's had probably 11 antibiotics and still has salmonella is for you. I doubt you've evr had a totally salmonella free bird yet somehow you've survived.

ZRH, for every study that finds one thing there's another that contradicts. i can't be bothered with your google bullshit. I don;t know when you first became aware of the issues around salmonella. When I worked at Conservative HQ and had to get involved in the first major health scare about it, you were around 1 I think. I personally read study after study that you might or might not find on the interenet. All pointed to a greater risk with cage birds which is why there are so many antibiotics in the feed given to such birds.

I'm sorry to say you're being moronic. Most birds carry salmonella to some degree. Ask yourself how healthy a cage bird that's had probably 11 antibiotics and still has salmonella is for you. I doubt you've evr had a totally salmonella free bird yet somehow you've survived.

ZRH, for every study that finds one thing there's another that contradicts. i can't be bothered with your google bullshit. I don;t know when you first became aware of the issues around salmonella. When I worked at Conservative HQ and had to get involved in the first major health scare about it, you were around 1 I think. I personally read study after study that you might or might not find on the interenet. All pointed to a greater risk with cage birds which is why there are so many antibiotics in the feed given to such birds.

MONSTER KILL

we're not comparing your range free to antibiotic fed birds, which antibiotic fed birds still pose less risk than your feel-good petri dish.

the fact are the facts, free range poses a greater risk to humans because there are a number of variables that are not within your control.

Personally, I eat birds raised in houses w/o antibiotics. Their environment is controlled. My risks are lower.

I'd buy meat from this guy over any free range bird hugger any day.
http://livingnaturally.com/retailer...=5CB723477B4E43F88024DB82BE9E5BBF&pageID=2759

Last edited:
If you want to believe his bullshit that's up to you. "However, the Free Range birds are more likely to need antibiotics," So the average intensive bird is less likely to get antibiotics than free range ( talking about our free range not your bullshit version)? Bollocks,

lololololol

Anyway, stay paranoid. I'll carry on eating real naturally raised birds.

Last edited:
If you want to believe his bullshit that's up to you. "However, the Free Range birds are more likely to need antibiotics," So the average intensive bird is less likely to get antibiotics than free range ( talking about our free range not your bullshit version)? Bollocks,

lololololol

Anyway, stay paranoid. I'll carry on eating real naturally raised birds.

Not that my opinion matters, but I agree.