Thread So is this better or worse? Organic?

The birds I buy can be viewed in woodland and fileds all the time. The geese I buy are driven along a lane to their field each day and brought back to the barn overnight. The ducks I eat are out on the pond at the farm when I visit the farm shop. I research my food and buy as much as possible from the source. Gimmicks? No, just old fashioned food.

When I pull into the car park at one farm shop, I have to take care not to run chickens over.

And the puppies you eat? Do they frollick through living rooms with giggling young children?

The birds I buy can be viewed in woodland and fileds all the time. The geese I buy are driven along a lane to their field each day and brought back to the barn overnight. The ducks I eat are out on the pond at the farm when I visit the farm shop. I research my food and buy as much as possible from the source. Gimmicks? No, just old fashioned food.

When I pull into the car park at one farm shop, I have to take care not to run chickens over.

do they clip their wings to keep them from flying away?

Again, are you reading posts or just randomly reacting? Did I say that this was being done tomorrow?

I think its an interesting topic for discussion. It seems barbaric. But fuck, its less barbaric than what chickens go through now. The current process is a good reason to pray for the extinction of the species.
Someone was getting high eating KFC and watching the matrix.

The cost associated with developing that type of technology would outstrip the already slim profit margins in agriculture.

Other than that don't really care. I can't effect what people do. Meat used to be a once or twice a week thing, now people expect it with every meal and they expect it cheap. There's a huge difference between killing a bird by hand and buying a plastic wrapped one at the store.

:lol: Unless the regulations there are different, 'free range' birds don't go outside for the two days that the door is open. :lol:

The regs here don;t just specify access to outdoors. Free range birds are also slower maturing varieties, which mostly produces a better flavour.

Thought you meant free range stuff marked at the store. Buying from a farm is entirely different.

do they clip their wings to keep them from flying away?

Domestic fowl can only fly very short distances, typically not over high fencing, although you often see them where they aren't meant to be. Domestic geese aren't flyers either. Chickens tend to stay close to the flock, roosting often in trees where there are soem. One of the farms I visit keeps their chickens and pigs roaming free in woodland with fencing around primarily to keep predators out.

Thought you meant free range stuff marked at the store. Buying from a farm is entirely different.

Even supermarket free range is better than the standard battery reared animal. At least the chicken hasn't been confined to a cage it's own size all it's life with brittle bones.

I would love to see how many people would still eat meat if they had to kill and dress the animal themselves.

The regs here only force minimum standards. Flock density, access to vegetated area ( needs only be grass) for 8 hours a day. Free range egg standards aren't what you'd really think of as 'roaming' so supermarket standards for free range are a long way from ideal. Again, I get my eggs from a guy who keeps 30 or so birds roaming his garden. He sells out by mid-morning each day so I get really fresh eggs if I'm there early enough. It wouldn't be the first time I've waited for him to finish collecting so I could buy some.