WTF So I just dick'd my butt

I'm not in the shop, thankfully (and unfortunately at times, I miss working with my hands.)
I'm mainly doing CAD work for a company that makes passive safety related stuff (ironically) fireproof doors, flood mitigation, stuff like that.

Been working here for ~2.5 months. Been 3 near-maiming/death accidents in that time in the shop. I'm not happy about that.
do they have a policy for reporting/tracking near misses? it's not a legal requirement, but there's no good/legitimate reason not to (but plenty of bad/illegitimate reasons).

do they have a policy for reporting/tracking near misses? it's not a legal requirement, but there's no good/legitimate reason not to (but plenty of bad/illegitimate reasons).
Its a weird answer. I'm not sure if there is an existing program in place, but I know we are working on one voluntarily (aka OSHA didn't come in and tell us we were a bunch of fuck ups and we had to do one.) Also we work with heavy enough parts that when there is an accident everyone in the office knows it from the noise coming from the shop. Literally shakes the floor at times.
We have safety meetings and such and usually the shop foreman chooses the topic, but after every near miss they have all sat down and reviewed the security footage.

Personally I think they are just pushing too hard and too fast. Something is gonna give. Maybe with the upcoming holidays off (23rd-3rd off) we will be able to regroup.

I'm gonna bring it up at next week's meeting.

It was a triumph.
I made a note, huge success.
Donald Trump GIF

Fired two customers this week, ones who don't value my services and are huge security risks with the lack of action to secure things. Letting another two clients know about a legacy security plan that I used to offer will be changed to basic or fully managed services plan or they will find another vendor. And I'm about to let my client base know my labor prices are going up (I did not do that in 2020 as a gesture of solidarity with the economy in the shitter due to covid). Still have not filled the vacant tech position that I need. Working on training my office manager on some of the easy tech requests like password resets and stuff like that.

Lost one municipal client when they decided for the first time in 15 years to put IT services out to bid. Lowest vendor, a larger competitor of mine, came in $10 under hourly rate and is throwing in 10 free hours a month according to the municipality when they issued the winning bid response. Seems crazy and unaffordable. Kinda hurts to lose them as a long term client, but they were fairly cheap so I guess it is a good thing they are moving on.

Trying to wrap up projects for other clients before the end of the year. Global computer chip shortage really sucks ass. Cannot get my hands on pretty much any networking gear. I ended up buying some used Cisco gear to hold my clients over until vendors equipment finally ships in 2022 sometime.

I accepted a quick IT divesture project for a contracting company that I've done work for over the years. Flying to TN New years eve, working all day New Years to wipe computers and networking equipment clean at an assisted living facility, then flying back on the 2nd. Decent holiday rate money to make.

• Love
Reactions: fly
Fired two customers this week, ones who don't value my services and are huge security risks with the lack of action to secure things. Letting another two clients know about a legacy security plan that I used to offer will be changed to basic or fully managed services plan or they will find another vendor. And I'm about to let my client base know my labor prices are going up (I did not do that in 2020 as a gesture of solidarity with the economy in the shitter due to covid). Still have not filled the vacant tech position that I need. Working on training my office manager on some of the easy tech requests like password resets and stuff like that.

Lost one municipal client when they decided for the first time in 15 years to put IT services out to bid. Lowest vendor, a larger competitor of mine, came in $10 under hourly rate and is throwing in 10 free hours a month according to the municipality when they issued the winning bid response. Seems crazy and unaffordable. Kinda hurts to lose them as a long term client, but they were fairly cheap so I guess it is a good thing they are moving on.

Trying to wrap up projects for other clients before the end of the year. Global computer chip shortage really sucks ass. Cannot get my hands on pretty much any networking gear. I ended up buying some used Cisco gear to hold my clients over until vendors equipment finally ships in 2022 sometime.

I accepted a quick IT divesture project for a contracting company that I've done work for over the years. Flying to TN New years eve, working all day New Years to wipe computers and networking equipment clean at an assisted living facility, then flying back on the 2nd. Decent holiday rate money to make.

how did your fired clients take it ?
any drama ?