WTF So I just dick'd my butt

Guh.

A guy I help with intertubes stuff was forwarded a phishing email by his old IT guy. Now I have to walk him through logging into his hosting service and resetting his password.

How a supposedly competent web person wouldn't recognize that a url ending in .ru is a blatant phishing attempt (it wasn't even disguised, just www.blahhost.com.imafuckin.retard.look.at.my.ru right there in the email) is beyond me. I sent him a blistering email. Cocknocker.

• Gravy
Reactions: nukes
OMFG, the previous IT dude doubled down on his stupidity and said that he wouldn't have gotten the email if the contact info were up to date.

Unfortunately, I don't think he understands what "phishing" means.

So, he tripled down with this:

"<my guy's name>,

I was simply doing you a favor as an old friend. Tell this mother fucker if I get one more shitty email from him he's going to have a fucking problem!"

Left a one star on google, then replied with, "Dumb motherfucker at least knows the difference between a legitimate email and a scam. Where's that leave you?"

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer and MacG
Google voice is your "forever number". No porting shit when you change carriers, etc.

A diagram is easiest to explain

333-555-5444 (google voice number, you give this to everyone to to call, text, mms, voicemail etc). When you call out, this is the number people will see.

vvvvvvvv

111-111-1111 (personal cell number, what ever the carrier gives you, doesnt matter noone will ever see if)
222-222-2222 (work desk number or whatever)
333-333-3333 (business number, private CEO number, whatever)

When your google voice # rings, all of these numbers ring at once. Think of it as call forwarding.

Whenever any of those numbers changes, you just give it a quick delete or add in the google voice app, and that new number rings instead.

Theres a bunch more benefits as well (ring scheduling (only ring the work desk number from 8-5), caller announcing, etc.
Until Google decides that they don't want to support it, right?

In all seriousness though, I randomly lost my GV number. Not sure why and Google couldn't/wouldn't help. That scared the shit out of me so I made damn sure that I didn't use it for my business number. I use voip.ms, which is infinitely more complicated, but has competent and real customer service. And I also don't really have to worry about them abandoning their only product.

We met with the co-founder of WordPress tonight. That was pretty nifty.
Dude was super chill. That may have been due to all the wine he was drinking though. Probably should have asked him if he wanted to go get a drink, cause he seemed like he liked to party.

You can also apparently make some really good fucking money on open source. He just casually dropped in one of his stories that he had to stop angel investing because he's got to be careful with his time.

[GIPHY="Friday damn"]https://media3.giphy.com/media/m6WNv8cf9Xg7S/giphy.gif[/GIPHY]

• Gravy
Reactions: APRIL and Duke
Until Google decides that they don't want to support it, right?

In all seriousness though, I randomly lost my GV number. Not sure why and Google couldn't/wouldn't help. That scared the shit out of me so I made damn sure that I didn't use it for my business number. I use voip.ms, which is infinitely more complicated, but has competent and real customer service. And I also don't really have to worry about them abandoning their only product.
you know, im amazed they havent dropped it yet. they completely abandoned it for like 5 years straight.

Ive had my number since before google even bought them, back when it was grandcentral.