WTF So I just dick'd my butt

I think part of the strategy of peeps that go into biz for themselves is believing they are 'less expensive' than the next guy so they jump into business. They're making more $$ than when they were an employee, but Exec pay. That scenario(fly's) plays out all the time. The 'on call/break-fix' pricing needs to be higher *because* there's a cheaper monthly membership type of arrangement.

Like gym memberships. $20 for the monthly renewal plan, but if you just want to drop by for a day, $15.

If the product (in Josh's case, outstanding service) is top notch you can charge the same as the big boys.

I opened up my biz the same way. I can do more and save customers $$. Lots of work, staying afloat, but growth wasn't anywhere near where I wanted, and it's tough to hire employees when 'lower cost' is your lead in. How do you pay the employees and have an owner make some $$ while taking all the responsibility?

One morning I woke up, said fuck all this, raised prices, & none of my customers even blinked. Now I have flexibility to do the things I thought (wished) I could do when I was on the cheap.
I raised my hourly fee last year, and will do it again in January. I lost one customer last year supposedly due to the price increase, but I think there were other reasons on their end.

I raised my hourly fee last year, and will do it again in January. I lost one customer last year supposedly due to the price increase, but I think there were other reasons on their end.

i lost a client for the same reason i aint budging though

Sweet! Only losing 1 is a non-issue.

Every now & then I hear people crab about my pricing. I've got a few short sentences advising them what pitfalls to look for when dedicating a lot of time to 'bargain hunting' to shave a few bucks. Most of them eventually call me back with 'It happened exactly like you said. Let's get this done.' & those customers, who started out as difficult, become the most loyal and easiest to work with.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer and adi
Sweet! Only losing 1 is a non-issue.

Every now & then I hear people crab about my pricing. I've got a few short sentences advising them what pitfalls to look for when dedicating a lot of time to 'bargain hunting' to shave a few bucks. Most of them eventually call me back with 'It happened exactly like you said. Let's get this done.' & those customers, who started out as difficult, become the most loyal and easiest to work with.
na its quite severe was the cash gig now i have way fewer gigs but more time to focus on becoming better

@APRIL @fly

I think you guys were raving about google voice (once upon a time)

Tell me everything

I need a new (business) number
I would prefer a dual SIM card but that’s not available with my carrier (boooooo)
So the internet tells me about google voice

Pease Kikyfy your responses
Use pictures, pie charts or shadow puppets if you must

My worry is: will the google number ever go down?
I can’t lose business cuz the google is dumb

Halp

@APRIL @fly

Tell me everything

I would prefer a dual SIM card but that’s not available with my carrier (boooooo)

Halp
I use Google Voice for my business. @fly uses something complicated that I couldn't figure out so I gave up on it.

It's free, try setting it up right meow. All you need is a number that isn't tied to another GV number or is on GoogleFi.

@APRIL @fly

Tell me everything

Halp

Google voice is your "forever number". No porting shit when you change carriers, etc.

A diagram is easiest to explain

333-555-5444 (google voice number, you give this to everyone to to call, text, mms, voicemail etc). When you call out, this is the number people will see.

vvvvvvvv

111-111-1111 (personal cell number, what ever the carrier gives you, doesnt matter noone will ever see if)
222-222-2222 (work desk number or whatever)
333-333-3333 (business number, private CEO number, whatever)

When your google voice # rings, all of these numbers ring at once. Think of it as call forwarding.

Whenever any of those numbers changes, you just give it a quick delete or add in the google voice app, and that new number rings instead.

Theres a bunch more benefits as well (ring scheduling (only ring the work desk number from 8-5), caller announcing, etc.

• Gravy
Reactions: nukes and APRIL