Food So Has Anyone Brewed Beer Before?

I know how it works. And technically, you can make really good beers from extract too. But there is a reason that AG is the gold standard. You're like 90% of the way there. I just don't understand why you wouldn't.

Just to piss you off :p

Bee Tee Dubs.

Brew bags are readily available for cooler style mash tuns ;)
It seems totally illogical to me, but do whatever you want.

And no thanks, as I'd prefer to be able to sparge. Also, eventually we're going to try and make two different beers in a day. One with with the infusion water, and then a low gravity one with the sparge water. Something else you won't be able to do...

It seems totally illogical to me, but do whatever you want.

And no thanks, as I'd prefer to be able to sparge. Also, eventually we're going to try and make two different beers in a day. One with with the infusion water, and then a low gravity one with the sparge water. Something else you won't be able to do...

BIAB does not keep you from sparging. Lots of BIAB brewers still sparge.

I finally looked up the BIAB process.

Shit, I've got a BIAB bag already (I bought it for doing cold brew coffee) and a turkey fryer I can do the boil in, just a matter of finding a recipe and buying grain/hops/yeast from the local brew shop.

Just gotta come up with a cheap ghetto way of cooling wort quickly. I s'pose I can just pitch it in a snowbank for now.

Knowing fly would get pissy and offended at the process will only make your beer taste better.

Just picture him standing there with his arms crossed, shaking his head, saying "HOW CAN YOU DRINK THAT SHIT? YOU DIDN'T SPARGE!"

• Gravy
Reactions: Valve1138
When I was in Sacramento, Bike Dog Brewing had a mexican lager that had a corn tortilla kind of taste to it that I really enjoyed.

I'm kinda determined to recreate it, and they did tell me there's toasted flaked corn in it.

Cool thing about BIAB is small batches are easy for recreating things like this.

I never said any of that. It's possible to make fantastic beer with extract, so of course BIAB too. It's just illogical that you would put all that effort into it and not do AG.
BIAB is less effort/equipment, gives you pretty much all the freedom you have recipe-wise as AG, and doesn't have any major flaws.

From what I'm reading it's a bit less efficient as far as getting sugars out of the grain, but grain is cheap and you can just use a bit more of it to compensate.

BIAB is less effort/equipment, gives you pretty much all the freedom you have recipe-wise as AG, and doesn't have any major flaws.

From what I'm reading it's a bit less efficient as far as getting sugars out of the grain, but grain is cheap and you can just use a bit more of it to compensate.
@Valve1138 is an expert at compensation.

• Gravy
Reactions: Valve1138

I disagree with all of that. The worst part is going to be temp control during the mash. @Valve1138 mentioned 4F drop. That's huge. There is a really good reason why people use insulated mash tuns or HERMS/RIMS system. So to acquire nearly all the equipment to do AG brewing, but stop just short seems illogical.

Will you still make good beer? Of course. Just like extract can make good beer. But why not try and make the best beer with 1% more effort?

edit: As an example, I get about a 1F drop over a 60 minute mash.