Food So Has Anyone Brewed Beer Before?

Nearly all the equipment eh... I guess I could just spend $10 and pick up some other stuff to go with my bag and turkey fryer and I'd have this.

3L7C7tp.jpg

Nearly all the equipment eh... I guess I could just spend $10 and pick up some other stuff to go with my bag and turkey fryer and I'd have this.

3L7C7tp.jpg
Sure, go for that if you want! The only thing else he'd need is an insulated mash tun. I made mine for like $40-50.

I disagree with all of that. The worst part is going to be temp control during the mash. @Valve1138 mentioned 4F drop. That's huge. There is a really good reason why people use insulated mash tuns or HERMS/RIMS system. So to acquire nearly all the equipment to do AG brewing, but stop just short seems illogical.

Will you still make good beer? Of course. Just like extract can make good beer. But why not try and make the best beer with 1% more effort?

edit: As an example, I get about a 1F drop over a 60 minute mash.

I said 4 degree drop if you suck at life and don't insulate the pot.

I also said I will be insulating the pot.

@gee do you suck at life?

Edit: not all of us have a beer lanai to put all this stuff on.

I'm fighting for pace for another keezer.

I'm still reading up on this, but it sounds like I've got a choice of buying an insulated cooler for a mash tun, or just using my turkey fryer pot and dropping a temperature probe into it during mash and reheating the mash as necessary to keep it in a given range.

Looks like I should fabricobble together a false bottom for the pot, but that's easy.

I'm still reading up on this, but it sounds like I've got a choice of buying an insulated cooler for a mash tun, or just using my turkey fryer pot and dropping a temperature probe into it during mash and reheating the mash as necessary to keep it in a given range.

Looks like I should fabricobble together a false bottom for the pot, but that's easy.

Just wrap the pot with a blanket, sleeping bag, or whatever, and another one over the lid.

The problem with that is that you don't want a 'range'. You want as close to a specific temperature as possible. Even a 2F swing is going to make a change in the body and alcohol content of the beer. Also, you'd be heating from the bottom, so you're going to end up with temperature differences. You could stir, but then you risk oxygenating.

Again, all this would work and the beer would be good. But it's certainly not optimal.

Simply adding this would get rid of all those problems.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/60qt-ice-cube-mash-tun-build-cheap-and-simple.144475/

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
I said 4 degree drop if you suck at life and don't insulate the pot.

I also said I will be insulating the pot.

@gee do you suck at life?

Edit: not all of us have a beer lanai to put all this stuff on.

I'm fighting for pace for another keezer.
I'd be willing to bet that you'll get way more than a 4F drop over 60 minutes if you don't insulate. And the only additional space I'm suggesting is for a cooler. It's like 3x3x3. And with that, you'll get ~1F drop. No way you're getting that with a blanket.