Ontopic So, Brits... How you doing over there?

Making history isn't for the faint of heart. :)

You're British. You used to run the world. You brought about the industrial revolution and the modern era. You stood at a time when the rest of Europe fell. You'll be OK.

I'm the only one still left from the Industrial revolution though.

The average immigrant contributes more than they take out and are less likely to claim welfare than a Brit. Our NHS basically depends on immigrant nurses and doctors. I don't know if you're just being flippant but frankly what's happened here is really worrying. Not everyone who voted to leave is a racist thug, but all racist thugs now believe that 52% of people agree with them. read this and still be flippant. it's horrifying.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/ent...uk_576fe161e4b08d2c56396075?745i5vqfvfs35l8fr

God knows. The whole thing is turning into a joke. The guys who led the Leave campaign have all pretty much admitted they had no idea what they'd do if they won and also retracted just about every promise/claim they made. Boris Johnson looks shellshocked as he was just gameplaying trying to become Prime Minister but didn't really expect to win the referendum. Two thirds of Parliament are opposed to us leaving and the internet is full of morons saying 'well i voted leave but I didn't mean it' or 'Will we still get money from the EU if we leave?'. Cornwall council ( who never said anything in the run up and are one of the largest beneficiaries of EU money) have said the Leave campaign told them their money was safe FFS. It appears as if there would be a wholly different result if the vote happened again today.

As far as what happens from here, there's no precedent. It is technically non-binding, and as none of the parties ran a Leave campaign there's sort of no requirement that they vote to leave in Parliament but would it be political suicide ignoring the 'will of the people'. Scotland is in a rather odd position. It would seem they can refuse to accept the decision but if they allow it to go ahead it will strengthen their hand if they have another vote on devolution. Effectively Nicola Sturgeon can choose between what she thinks is best for the UK and what she thinks is best for Scotland. In the meantime, outside investment is frozen and we've got banks thinking of moving their 1.3 trillion a day euro transactions away sooner rather than later.

the sun may never set on the british empire but the restaurant of the world is switching to its dinner menu

The average immigrant contributes more than they take out and are less likely to claim welfare than a Brit. Our NHS basically depends on immigrant nurses and doctors. I don't know if you're just being flippant but frankly what's happened here is really worrying. Not everyone who voted to leave is a racist thug, but all racist thugs now believe that 52% of people agree with them. read this and still be flippant. it's horrifying.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/ent...uk_576fe161e4b08d2c56396075?745i5vqfvfs35l8fr

There'll be some of that no doubt. That article though just grabs some shit off Twitter and tries to make it look as if half your population are racist pigs. That's not journalism, that's propaganda. Any of us could cherrypick a couple dozen losers out of millions and use them to generalise without much effort.

• Gravy
Reactions: nukes
Ok, so there's no issue here. Britain First weren't really outside the Wetherspoon's in town chanting anti muslim slogans a week ago. The fringe scum have been legitimised by this decision and they've become far more vocal as a result. Anti immigrant rhetoric has been the staple of the right wing media here for so long they've redefined truth. You're really trying to educate me about the realities of living here? I've dj#d in towns where people have come up to me and said 'Don't play any ****** music will you. there's no ******s here'.

Oh and Asa, the demographics show that it's the old, uneducated and unsuccessful who voted as a majorities to leave. It's not a portrait it's a fact. Everyone's Facebook pages are full of their friends saying they didn't realise what might happen and would like to change their vote etc. The whole campaign has been a horrible experience as you could see people swallowing the most blatant lies and ignoring anything said by anyone who could be accused of being an expert on anything. My own best friend voted 'out' because he thought remain would win anyway and he wanted it to be close. FFS. Many actually believed that Turkey is nailed on to join in a year which is one of the most prominent lies. Still others voted out to stop Syrians coming here confusing refugees with EU free movement.

Everyone's Facebook pages are full of their friends saying they didn't realise what might happen and would like to change their vote etc.

I'm having a tough time believing their sudden clarity.

All we hear here is your media was very pro remain.

Obviously there's two sides, but the supposed sudden conversion post vote doesn't make sense.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
It seems a lot of people may have voted 'out' not thinking it would happen and not wanting to leave. Also, I don't know how you can be hearing that our media were pro remain. All the most popular rags were like printed version of Fox news. Add in the shock of seeing the pound drop ( as every expert said it would but the leave campaign insisted was just scaremongering). Then add in that despite the leave campaign using 'We send £350 million a week to the EU. let's spend it on the NHS instead' as a rallying cry then admitting it was a lie within 24 hours.
The last week on a forum I'm a member of there's been one particular old guy who's staunchly insisted we needed to leave. He's argued with or ignored every single piece of information that's been presented to refute the lies he believed. Early today he said he expected us to remain in the EEA like Norway so we didn't have immigrants ( that was his major issue). He was pointed at the rules Norway had to live by and an explanation of what the EEA was and he was mortified. 'Why didn't anyone explain this before the vote?' he asked. Every single thing had been explained time and time again on the same thread but he'd somehow managed not to assimilate any of it till after the vote. If you don't believe me I will link you to the thread. This sort of 'realisation of what they did' has been happening all over.
One of the strongest leave votes was in Sunderland where Nissan employ 7,000. It had been made as clear as it was possible to make something clear that leaving the EU would risk Nissan moving operations back into the EU. The stupid pricks there voted to leave and the very next day asked for assurances their jobs were safe. You couldn't make it up.

If the referendum were held again today I'm confident there would be a completely different result. Far too many used it as a protest of some sort, not thinking they might win,and others simply hadn't thought it through.

Oh and Asa, .........

That's not quite what I was thinking. And I might not articulate this well, so I apologize in advance. It feels like this is another version of what has been talked about a lot on the forum in the past month or so. Its more blaming, more saying "its their fault!" while not looking inside and saying "how did we fuck up?"
And honestly, if the reasons are actually racists, old people, those that thought their votes wouldn't count then there is a fairly strong argument that they did fuck up.

Its more of the same us and them bullshit that is fucking up everywhere

Ok I'll read this to better understand this since you took the time to post it and you seem like the saddest Grandpanda ever.
I'll come back with questions

Also, my boss is British and he's sooooo happy with this vote

Britain. All I remember from my two weeks there is the TERRIBLE food.

I mean, it's potato 3 meals a day. I started losing weight, luckily found a Turkish dude who was making amazing kebabs.

you would also think, in todays world of advanced medicines, that they would have found a cure for spotted dick by now.