Ontopic So, Brits... How you doing over there?

This has to be the dumbest decision anyone could ever make.

France and Germany have been trying to have all clearing house transactions of euro based securities handled in the eurozone. The European Court of Justice over-ruled them as it would have been discriminatory to the UK as an EU member. As that ruling will be reversed once we leave, an enormous amount of business will leave the London markets ( our single largest earning sector) for Frankfurt and Paris. Add in the problems we'll have renegotiating trade deals and I'd be very surprised if we don't end up in a deep and long-lasting recession.

The rest of the world will probably be totally confounded about this referendum and not be able to understand why the British people have voted this way. The right wing press have spent years banging on about immigrants and the EU being the root of all problems and the gullible have swallowed it whole. The polling demographics show that the older, less educated and less successful were in favour of leaving. Younger, degree educated middle classes in favour of remaining.

Depressingly, this vote will also quite probably see the break up of the UK. Every single area of Scotland voted to remain so I'd expect another referendum for Scotland which may go the other way this time

The two main objections to the EU seem to have been the cost ( massive lies were told about the cost) and freedom of movement. If we want a trade deal with the EU as an outsider, we will have to pay about the same as a member and also continue to allow free movement of labour. We'll also have to still abide by most EU rules. Basically we will be in an almost identical position but with no seat at the table any more just like Norway and Switzerland.

The pound has dropped against the dollar to it's lowest since 1985 and 10% was wiped off the FTSE in the first minutes of trading today. Some banks lost 30% of their value. HSBC suggest that the pound could be worth less than the euro within a year.

This is serious shit frankly.

France and Germany have been trying to have all clearing house transactions of euro based securities handled in the eurozone. The European Court of Justice over-ruled them as it would have been discriminatory to the UK as an EU member. As that ruling will be reversed once we leave, an enormous amount of business will leave the London markets ( our single largest earning sector) for Frankfurt and Paris. Add in the problems we'll have renegotiating trade deals and I'd be very surprised if we don't end up in a deep and long-lasting recession.

The rest of the world will probably be totally confounded about this referendum and not be able to understand why the British people have voted this way. The right wing press have spent years banging on about immigrants and the EU being the root of all problems and the gullible have swallowed it whole. The polling demographics show that the older, less educated and less successful were in favour of leaving. Younger, degree educated middle classes in favour of remaining.

Depressingly, this vote will also quite probably see the break up of the UK. Every single area of Scotland voted to remain so I'd expect another referendum for Scotland which may go the other way this time

The two main objections to the EU seem to have been the cost ( massive lies were told about the cost) and freedom of movement. If we want a trade deal with the EU as an outsider, we will have to pay about the same as a member and also continue to allow free movement of labour. We'll also have to still abide by most EU rules. Basically we will be in an almost identical position but with no seat at the table any more just like Norway and Switzerland.

The pound has dropped against the dollar to it's lowest since 1985 and 10% was wiped off the FTSE in the first minutes of trading today. Some banks lost 30% of their value. HSBC suggest that the pound could be worth less than the euro within a year.

Its your country.
Unlike the rest of the world and America bashing, i truly have no opinion regarding the succession of one country from an artificial union whos currency they rejected.
K theres an opinion in that statement somewhere which is vaguely gingoist and anti EU, but being that I'm not a limey pom I have no real opinion on what form of leftist claptrap they practice.

• Gravy
Reactions: Domon
zzp3tfb.jpg

Not here in the US. That same demographic is 90% of the reason the US as a country has gone stagnant over the past 2 decades, and it's only getting worse.

You get the Brexit because of them, we're looking at getting Trump.

After Brexit DID happen, when it shouldn't have, I have less faith that Trump WONT happen, because we have a giant contingent of stupid, older, unsuccessful xenophobic double digit IQ hate mongers walking around over here.

Not here in the US. That same demographic is 90% of the reason the US as a country has gone stagnant over the past 2 decades, and it's only getting worse.

You get the Brexit because of them, we're looking at getting Trump.

After Brexit DID happen, when it shouldn't have, I have less faith that Trump WONT happen, because we have a giant contingent of stupid, older, unsuccessful xenophobic double digit IQ hate mongers walking around over here.
If you don't want Trump, you should have presented a more moderate candidate than Bernie who could have easily breezed past Hitlery.

• Gravy
Reactions: Peppers and Petunia
If you don't want Trump, you should have presented a more moderate candidate than Bernie who could have easily breezed past Hitlery.

I should have? Explain to me how I, myself, could have done that.

Inane comment, nukes.

"If you don't want a racist, xenophobic hate monger as president, you shouldn't have put your faith in the US not being a country of illiterate hate filled scumbags who are easily programmed by television and social media shills and just accepted that the US has gone to shit because of the uneducated south and selfish fucks elsewhere" would be more correctly put.

I should have? Explain to me how I, myself, could have done that.

Inane comment, nukes.

"If you don't want a racist, xenophobic hate monger as president, you shouldn't have put your faith in the US not being a country of illiterate hate filled scumbags who are easily programmed by television and social media shills and just accepted that the US has gone to shit because of the uneducated south and selfish fucks elsewhere" would be more correctly put.
You meant the Democratic party.
"You" Democrats shot yourself in the foot.
Screwed the pooch.
Not that I'm any kind of loyal Republican, cause I'm not.
Dems are naive and stuck in the past.
GOP is evil and stuck in the past.
Both are controlled by big corporate global free market.

Gary Johnson is the only logical choice.
And Duke, you totally lost your shit, hillarious.

HelenaWallOfText much ?

• Gravy
Reactions: plot and nukes
There's a significant difference between getting a fuckwit in charge for a few years and making a one way trip to idiotsville. Within 8 hours of the final tallies, Morgan Stanley have announced they are moving 2,000 jobs to Frankfurt. Those (and all the other )jobs will never come back because they need to be in the EU. When Scotland leaves the UK it will be permanent.

What really is upsetting is the reasons some people give for voting to leave. Some of them are factually wrong ( the European Court of Human Rights that over-ruled us on x, y or z is NOTHING to do with the EU dummy), or just idiotic for a permanent vote ( I wanted to stick it to Cameron because I don't like him). Then there's the proportion who think this is just a negotiating position and it will all be OK because we will get a better deal from the EU and stay after all.

The campaign was summed up by 3 things. First, Michael Gove saying 'We're fed up of experts' to discard all the economists who (pretty much to a man) said that Brexit would be disastrous for the economy. So we should listen to Dave down the pub instead?

Second, the UKIP battle bus ( German made) right till the last day advertised that the EU costs us £350 million a week, enough to build a hospital a week. They knew that figure was a lie but spouted it throughout the whole campaign. We've become a post-fact nation it seems. Farage (leader of UKIP) was asked today about saying the money saved could be spent on the NHS and he described it as a 'mistake'. So the claims lasted 6 hours after the vote. Nice.

Third, the use of immigrants to whip up hysteria against the EU has been disgraceful. They used imagery reminiscent of 1930's Nazi propaganda and the campaign is even linked with the killing of JO Cox MP.

Having Trump in charge will be the dumbest thing you've evr done, but at least it's not a permanent state of affairs. This will be, as will losing Scotland and maybe Northern Ireland.

That's bullshit, dude. There were numerous examples of Hill reaching into the DNC and tweaking shit against him. When you have two people competing with one being honest and one being corrupt the corrupt one will win.