Ontopic Should California and Oregon seek secession?

Growing up I went to rural schools, dods schools, city schools with no name only PS and a number. And it all has to do with the curriculum based around the students who go there. If the kids are behind, have language issues, etc then no amount of money will fix that. And that can happen regardless of location. It's 100% about the student population.

Money can certainly fix HELP TO FIX kids being behind when the reason they're behind is largely due to the way they're being taught. A broken down school with few supplies won't be able to teach as effectively as a well funded school. And it can fix language issues by having more bilingual teachers, which means paying them more.

• Gravy
Reactions: Hoff Kinkmeister
Growing up I went to rural schools, dods schools, city schools with no name only PS and a number. And it all has to do with the curriculum based around the students who go there. If the kids are behind, have language issues, etc then no amount of money will fix that. And that can happen regardless of location. It's 100% about the student population.
I was always amazed how in my advanced classes everyone came prepared, had studied the material, done the homework, were attention and we blew through textbooks full of advanced material. Then I'd go to normal classes where the teacher spent half the class going over material some kids didn't bother doing at home and the rest of class babysitting the kids who had no desire to be there and just wanted to act out or talk or whatever else. Got nowhere fast.

We also had a hearing impaired girl who was a smart chick but whenever we read out loud in this history class we had to pass around this microphone thing of hers. Seems like zero issue but it was enough to make that class run over about five minutes everyday. Those are things you just kind of have to with though.

• Gravy
Reactions: my little brony
true, that's also a huge one

hey maybe if people could get birth control for free and women could get abortions for free and without any stupid restrictions like an ultrasound and a stern talking to we wouldn't have nearly as many of those single parent homes

BUT NOPE, let's just pretend we're not paying for it on the other end
I'm all for free birth control for all and an over abundance of sex edu starting well before puberty. My abortion comment earlier was tongue and cheek but if people would get on board with those first two items I think the third would become a rare occurrence.

• Gravy
it requires a lot more than money, though. the entire system needs to be overhauled from the ground up. our public school system was designed for a country of farmers and factory workers. that's not america anymore, we need to revamp the system. the core curriculum is one step in modernizing education but a lot of concepts need to be restructured. students shouldn't be grouped primarily by age, the older a student gets the later they need to sleep and should start later, the lectures and note taking should be done at home on either personal or school supplied devices while time at school is spent doing handouts and getting help from the teacher or other students

money alone won't do it but doing all that will cost money.
Yeah but the first step is getting people to wrap their minds around the idea that improving things costs money. This was what I was getting at with "do the schools better". It takes thought and evidence-based action as well as money.

Last edited:
  • Gravy
a lot of kids don't have that because parents are spending too much time working because wages were stagnating for so long because SOME PEOPLE keep pushing the idea of trickle down economics and it's fucking over all of us. maybe if all the asshole GOVERNMENT ALWAYS FAILS dingbats would stop shouting their misinformed belief that they cling to because their own schools and parents failed at teaching them critical thinking skills we could actually have a stable and secure middle class that can participate in their children's education

but no, those kids should just be bootstrapping themselves into success despite living in poverty. and when they become adults they'll be expected to just innately know that they're supposed to work hard and take personal responsibility as if by FUCKING MAGIC
"Hey we fucked up the gov't vote for us so we can fuck it up some more." I feel your anger.

You mentioned the violence in cities earlier: I posted a really interesting article in the Butt Mustard thread recently about the correlation of leaded gas with violence that I think you would enjoy reading.

As well as if the school is equipped to deal with those issues, as brony said.

Microflop goes to a STEM school and they do a few weeks of normal type class then a week on nothing but engineering a topic all day like building robots, flying machines, wind mills and sails, etc.
That seems like it might forgo lots of other important aspects of education and areas he(?) might be interested in? Schools shouldn't be job training.

"

You mentioned the violence in cities earlier: I posted a really interesting article in the Butt Mustard thread recently about the correlation of leaded gas with violence that I think you would enjoy reading.

Yeah baby boomers grew up with lead poisoning because the oil companies paid scientists to lie. It's no wonder they fucked the country so hard then blame millennials for not thanking them when we're the ones paying off their childhoods.

Yeah baby boomers grew up with lead poisoning because the oil companies paid scientists to lie. It's no wonder they fucked the country so hard then blame millennials for not thanking them when we're the ones paying off their childhoods.

Okay so scientists lie but the gov't doesn't. Got it.

Robert Kehoe lied. Clair Patterson risked his career and his life to expose that lie.

Today fossil fuel companies pay the smattering of scientists left willing to lie about climate change to convince conservatives coal is clean.

• Gravy
Reactions: Hoff Kinkmeister
Robert Kehoe lied. Clair Patterson risked his career and his life to expose that lie.

Today fossil fuel companies pay the smattering of scientists left willing to lie about climate change to convince conservatives coal is clean.

Right. And yet you think govts are clean as a whistle.

• Gravy
Reactions: nukes