Ontopic Should an HIV infection be classified as a disability in the eyes of the feds?

diabetes definitely shouldn't be a disability. neither should HIV, obesity, etc.

the overwhelming majority of HIV cases in the US are self conflicted or participating in an act where you know its a consequence... same with obesity, for every 1000 fat people probably 1 have a legitimate thyroid problem... the other 999 only have a thyroid problem cause they eat way to damn much. i know quite a few people with diabetes whose work it doesn't effect, i'm sure there are some extreme cases, but most people live with it fine and control it with insulin and diet.

really, if its your own fault you got something (fat, full blown aids, etc.) or something you could easily work with (diabetes... most bi-polar cases if properly medicated), then it shouldn't be considered disability.

especially since HIV is just the infection. you could make a lot better argument for full blown aids where the immune system is simply shot and they shouldn't be around people...

Diabetes is a disability. As is obesity.

A virus is not.

HIV scares the living shit out of me.
i was with my ex for 10 years. i hate the fact that im going to have to go thru this dating shit, new relationship shit again... the dating scene is a cesspool of nastyness. i will stick to my usb vibrator thankyouverymuch.

there's PrEP for HIV, though if you came to me asking for this I'd think you're a dirty bastard.

Interesting enough, prophylactic medication for HIV has a 72 hour window post-exposure pretty much everywhere in the world. Except the USA - where it's 10 days and more or less a drop in the ocean.

But, you gotta sell something.

believe me, i'm as dubious as you are about obesity. there is no real way to tell if it's lifestyle or not anymore as most research points to the fact that sequence like that above will code for such a thing.

however, if there is truly no way to stop a person from being obese as it's already set out in the read - what are we to do?

ironically, only africans in america have this genetic defect.

at the very least, i'd say most cases are easily treatable to the point where they aren't disabling your life in any way.

http://www.genecards.org/cgi-bin/carddisp.pl?gene=POMC

there's plenty more that encourage early onset of obesity due to defects. i would say that is not a choice.

eating too much and not exercising is still a choice :thrawn: I understand not being able to get in great shape but 400lbs is not a disability, it's laziness and an evolutionary dead end that needs to be forcibly removed from the gene pool

HIV scares the living shit out of me.
i was with my ex for 10 years. i hate the fact that im going to have to go thru this dating shit, new relationship shit again... the dating scene is a cesspool of nastyness. i will stick to my usb vibrator thankyouverymuch.

Smart girl.

It's okay to ask a dude to get tested before you shag.

why is everyone in ethiopa skinny, and everyone in america fat?

PvNLZ.jpg

HIV was detected in 1969. With far more scientists looking at solutions, it's taken LONGER than polio to come up with a solution. And that solution isn't even a vaccine but something that delays the inevitable. And a vaccine was synthesized in the 50's. By the 70's it was eradicated from NA. a couple decades is quite quick actually.

Agreed, though, something with blood issues will take more time. Of course polio was a blood-based virus, too.

Where are you getting 1969? AIDS wasn't even identified before 1981..