Ontopic Should an HIV infection be classified as a disability in the eyes of the feds?

dbzeag

Wants to kiss you where it stinks
Jun 9, 2006
Marklar
₥1,014
From the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission:

http://www1.eeoc.gov//eeoc/newsroom/release/3-24-11.cfm?renderforprint=1

The regulations clarify that the term “major life activities” includes “major bodily functions,” such as functions of the immune system, normal cell growth, and brain, neurological, and endocrine functions. The regulations also make clear that, as under the old ADA, not every impairment will constitute a disability. The regulations include examples of impairments that should easily be concluded to be disabilities, such as HIV infection, diabetes, epilepsy, and bipolar disorder.

What are your thoughts? I was talking to an acquaintance of mine who has seroconverted and he equates it to a disease that has life-threatening consequences so like diabetes, so it should qualify. I countered that a quadrpoligic qualifies for disability but their affliction is not life threatening.

Your thoughts? All of this talk kinda stems from news a friend of mine and his partner have seroconverted and I am just getting a feel for what its like through their eyes. It's one thing to read stories, but it's another to hear it directly from friends it affects.

Well, unlike diabetes, epilepsy, and psychological disorders, HIV is something you acquire through an activity that you willfully engaged in. Plus, HIV doesn't interfere with your life the way the others do.

How many straight, non drug users get AIDS each year?

I'm just wondering. I think the two higest places w/ AIDS are SF and DC right?

it's still a majority Gay, Bisexual, and Other Men Who Have Sex with Men (MSM) as well as overwhelmingly in the black population

Well, unlike diabetes, epilepsy, and psychological disorders, HIV is something you acquire through an activity that you willfully engaged in. Plus, HIV doesn't interfere with your life the way the others do.

Diabetes IS a disorder that is acquired through activity willfully engaged in, though. And to those people that have the shits and rashes and other physical ailments that render them functionless because of AIDS or the symptoms of infection or the medication side effects used to temporarily stave off death DO indeed interfere with "major life activities".

Diabetes IS a disorder that is acquired through activity willfully engaged in, though. And to those people that have the shits and rashes and other physical ailments that render them functionless because of AIDS or the symptoms of infection or the medication side effects used to temporarily stave off death DO indeed interfere with "major life activities".

you just get type I diabetes iirc. it's not from being a fat slob which is type II

At some point in their life, approximately one in 16 black men will be diagnosed with HIV, as will one in 30 black women.

That's a freaking crazy high number.

At some point in their life, approximately one in 16 black men will be diagnosed with HIV, as will one in 30 black women.

There are 6 countries that over ONE QUARTER of their whole population is infected. That's scarier.

I watched a news story on this not long ago and they were pin pointing the massive increase in the black male numbers to the "on the DL" sex that has become very popular in the black male communities. Apparently they have gay sexwith each other in groups but because it's on the "DL" and they only do it in the small group they don't consider it gay or gay sex. It's a real crazy thing if you ask me.

I've not read up on this in a while.

all African countries with more than 24.5 million, and more than 60% of the HIV-infected population. South Africa is reported to have the largest population living with the disease, at well over 5 million people infected, followed by Nigeria in 2nd place and India being the 3rd largest population of HIV infected with more than 2 million people reported.

As of 2009, it is estimated that there are 33.3 million people worldwide infected with HIV

I've not read up on this in a while.

all African countries with more than 24.5 million, and more than 60% of the HIV-infected population. South Africa is reported to have the largest population living with the disease, at well over 5 million people infected, followed by Nigeria in 2nd place and India being the 3rd largest population of HIV infected with more than 2 million people reported.

As of 2009, it is estimated that there are 33.3 million people worldwide infected with HIV

out of what, 5-6 billion that's pretty low actually

out of what, 5-6 billion that's pretty low actually

Crunching the numbers, yes. More shocking is how much was spent in research for this and the best we can come up with is medication that's $4K+/month to sustain your condition with minimal side effects.

not really that shocking, it's just a testament to how tough the disease is

considering only a few years ago it was still considered incurable, that's a pretty big leap