Ontopic Should an HIV infection be classified as a disability in the eyes of the feds?

not really that shocking, it's just a testament to how tough the disease is

considering only a few years ago it was still considered incurable, that's a pretty big leap

Or it's a brilliant coo. think of how much the pharma companies are pocketing from government incentives to find a cure by all of the countries in the world, and the "solution" they have come up with is a terribly expensive medicine that prolongs life if you maintain taking it. And best of all there are studies that say if you take it BEFORE you are infected, you are less likely to get infected, making the very expensive medication available to those who aren't even infected and making money from them, too.

Looking grimly at it, this just plays into the pharma's hands. It doesn't pay pharma companies to have a cure. they cant' make money when you aren't sick.

hell look how long it took to even get polio under control

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polio_vaccine

In 1936, Maurice Brodie, a research assistant at New York University, attempted to produce a formaldehyde-killed polio vaccine from ground-up monkey spinal cords.

A breakthrough came in 1948 when a research group headed by John Enders at the Children's Hospital Boston successfully cultivated the poliovirus in human tissue in the laboratory.

In 1952 and 1953, the U.S. experienced an outbreak of 58,000 and 35,000 polio cases, respectively, up from a typical number of some 20,000 a year.

The first effective polio vaccine was developed in 1952 by Jonas Salk at the University of Pittsburgh. But it needed years of testing. To encourage patience, Salk went on CBS radio to report a successful test on a small group of adults and children on March 26, 1953; two days later the results were published in JAMA.

The development of two polio vaccines led to the first modern mass inoculations. The last cases of paralytic poliomyelitis caused by endemic transmission of wild virus in the United States occurred in 1979

Seemed pretty quick to me actually. And they have far fewer cases to treat, far fewer samples they could even use to test with, and far less money to work with.

Less likley to get it, if you don't do it in the poop shoot and or shoot up drugs.

ZING

You are absolutely 100% right. Those would be ways to not spread the virus. Most, but not all the cases, but you are right.

Well, unlike diabetes, epilepsy, and psychological disorders, HIV is something you acquire through an activity that you willfully engaged in. Plus, HIV doesn't interfere with your life the way the others do.

Some would argue that you got diabetes by eating improperly.

EDIT: I see that's been covered already. Disregard.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polio_vaccine

Seemed pretty quick to me actually. And they have far fewer cases to treat, far fewer samples they could even use to test with, and far less money to work with.

How do you consider that fast? Yes they started to look at the disease in the 30's and basically had it done with by the 70's but polio was around for ever prior to the 30's. AIDS is still young compared to polio. Also any disease that involved something bad in the blood is extremely more difficult to deal with than non blood.

How do you consider that fast? Yes they started to look at the disease in the 30's and basically had it done with by the 70's but polio was around for ever prior to the 30's. AIDS is still young compared to polio. Also any disease that involved something bad in the blood is extremely more difficult to deal with than non blood.

HIV was detected in 1969. With far more scientists looking at solutions, it's taken LONGER than polio to come up with a solution. And that solution isn't even a vaccine but something that delays the inevitable. And a vaccine was synthesized in the 50's. By the 70's it was eradicated from NA. a couple decades is quite quick actually.

Agreed, though, something with blood issues will take more time. Of course polio was a blood-based virus, too.

I'm saying you'd be less likley to get it. and of course less likley to spread it.

Yes, this is true. I agree. Of course the fastest growing number is hetero sex M to F conversion and F to baby conversion.

Or it's a brilliant coo.

:confused:

Cadjehoun Airport?

Calgary Olympic Oval?

Cobalt Oxide?

think of how much the pharma companies are pocketing from government incentives to find a cure by all of the countries in the world, and the "solution" they have come up with is a terribly expensive medicine that prolongs life if you maintain taking it. And best of all there are studies that say if you take it BEFORE you are infected, you are less likely to get infected, making the very expensive medication available to those who aren't even infected and making money from them, too.

Looking grimly at it, this just plays into the pharma's hands. It doesn't pay pharma companies to have a cure. they cant' make money when you aren't sick.
you're treading into conspiracy theory water. this whole idea that pharmaceutical companies are holding back a cure to anything is beyond ridiculous. any company that comes out and cures fucking AIDS will be seen as saviors to humanity and will have good press for multiple generations. not to mention that a treatment is hard to get behind but a cure would entice world governments and numerous charity organizations to pay for the production of the medicine necessary to cure tens of millions of people

so of course it pays them to have a cure. the idea that they're trying to keep people sick is nonsense because no matter what we cure people will still get sick. there will always be a need for health care and what on earth makes you think that these company executives are actually evil enough to let tens of millions of people to die from a disease that their own children could possibly get just to keep a slightly higher profit margin when curing the disease would make them rich enough to hire bill gates to clean their dog's balls

HIV was detected in 1969. With far more scientists looking at solutions, it's taken LONGER than polio to come up with a solution. And that solution isn't even a vaccine but something that delays the inevitable. And a vaccine was synthesized in the 50's. By the 70's it was eradicated from NA. a couple decades is quite quick actually.

Agreed, though, something with blood issues will take more time. Of course polio was a blood-based virus, too.

it's taking longer because it's a far more complex condition. diseases are not created equal bro

HIV scares the living shit out of me.
i was with my ex for 10 years. i hate the fact that im going to have to go thru this dating shit, new relationship shit again... the dating scene is a cesspool of nastyness. i will stick to my usb vibrator thankyouverymuch.

i was with my ex for 10 years. i hate the fact that im going to have to go thru this dating shit, new relationship shit again... the dating scene is a cesspool of nastyness. i will stick to my usb vibrator thankyouverymuch.

or you could, yknow, use a condom

believe it or not getting hiv isn't very easy. it's common in countries where they literally do not give a flying fuck about it and refuse to use any kind of protection even when they know full well they're with someone that has it but the reality is that it's not like a single drop of blood or a single sexual encounter has a high chance of transmitting the virus.

another option is to not fuck the type of guy that....well, you would usually fuck :fly:

I guess snowball isn't as pure as fresh snow.

diabetes definitely shouldn't be a disability. neither should HIV, obesity, etc.

the overwhelming majority of HIV cases in the US are self conflicted or participating in an act where you know its a consequence... same with obesity, for every 1000 fat people probably 1 have a legitimate thyroid problem... the other 999 only have a thyroid problem cause they eat way to damn much. i know quite a few people with diabetes whose work it doesn't effect, i'm sure there are some extreme cases, but most people live with it fine and control it with insulin and diet.

really, if its your own fault you got something (fat, full blown aids, etc.) or something you could easily work with (diabetes... most bi-polar cases if properly medicated), then it shouldn't be considered disability.

especially since HIV is just the infection. you could make a lot better argument for full blown aids where the immune system is simply shot and they shouldn't be around people...

absolutely not.

are you aware of the 'pozzing' subset? it seems specifically to get on benefits.

HIV/AIDS is a serious infection, with serious consequences for public health. However, the championing of this cause as some sort of gay lifestyle has to end. I'd hazard a guess that more gays die from Cancer-related illness daily than do from HIV/AIDS. Why not try and raise awareness out of that?

on a semi-related note as to the numbers of people with aids, i went to a hospice house for a project once that had like 30 people who had full blown aids. 1 was a chick (nice older lady), 2 were druggies who got it from the needle (really talkative, wanted to get high and see chicks), and the rest were gay guys who sat around depressed, hardly said a word or anything and just stared at the weather channel the whole time.

i got the impression they felt like they had been beat down their whole life and were now going to die for it since homos have/had been classified as almost subhuman in the eyes of the general population for so long... it was quite sad. on the other end of the spectrum, the two druggies knew how and why they got it, and were going on about their lifes as usual even being stuck in a hospice house.