Ontopic <--- Serios Thread. Post your best outdoor/shop rules that work for you.

that kinda explains it. Central illinois is like indiana.

Farm fields, nothing, and poor. Thats all there is.

There's a difference between not doing something beyond your current knowledge base and farming something out because it's beyond your limits.

I could rebuild a fairly simple transmission, but I would take too long and I would have to buy tools that would be expensive and for all intents and purposes, single use. My limit there is not my knowledge base, but a combination of effective use of time and the lack of specialized tools, y'know?
My uncle has been building transmissions for 30+ years, he has helped me rebuild a few things over the years. From what he's said there aren't all that many specialty tools required, and I only saw 2 or 3 when we did a FWD GM transmission. The rest were just hand tools and the occasional clamp. Gearboxes are pretty easy, by comparison.

New rules based on experiences of the last couple days:

- When I'm 10 feet up a ladder wielding an air nailer, yelling OMG WATCH OUT BE CAREFUL at me will not make things safer - it'll only distract me, potentially resulting in nails getting fired into building parts/body parts that they aren't supposed to go into and/or me falling off the ladder. I need to concentrate, shut the fuck up.

- Don't stand 2 feet from someone doing work and spray fly repellent over yourself. That shit burns.

- If you feel the need to move an extension cord or air hose out of the way, be aware that there might be someone wielding a power tool on the end of the cord/hose, and jerking on the thing could potentially cause an accident.

- Not really a safety thing, but familiarize yourself with national building code before your criticize my work or make suggestions. Things are done certain ways because they have to be. And yeah, some of the laws are bullshit, but the building inspector won't agree when they're inspecting the place.

Always, always use safety goggles/glasses when cutting ceramic tile, even if it's the last cut and you left them inside. It's not worth the hospital trip to have a shard removed from your eye.

Always, always use safety goggles/glasses when cutting ceramic tile, even if it's the last cut and you left them inside. It's not worth the hospital trip to have a shard removed from your eye.

Not that you shouldn't wear goggles for all occasions such as this but even with a wet cutter? I don't remember flying bits at all.

I had an iron filing fly behind my glasses and get stuck in my eye. It embedded itself in my eye and started to rust. The doc had to numb my eye then use a needle with a huge gauge to scoop out a bit of my eyeball to get it out.

Wear safety glasses, goggles if you have them.
Face shield might have helped as well

Not that you shouldn't wear goggles for all occasions such as this but even with a wet cutter? I don't remember flying bits at all.

yep, it fucking hurt. it was a tiny chunk, but was scraping the inside of my eyelid every time i would blink.

from yesterday:

- If I'm up on a scaffold, don't walk away with the ladder.
- Not safety related, but if I ask for you to pass up the sawzall, it's implied that I want the thing plugged in.

from yesterday:

- If I'm up on a scaffold, don't walk away with the ladder.
- Not safety related, but if I ask for you to pass up the sawzall, it's implied that I want the thing plugged in.

we had some pretty high winds last week, and the neighbour had a tree linb split. He wasn't home but his 26 ish nephew was there, trying to cut through a foot think limb with a battery powered sawzall when i got home. i giggled a bit then lent him my chainsaw. he said it worked much better, lol.

we had some pretty high winds last week, and the neighbour had a tree linb split. He wasn't home but his 26 ish nephew was there, trying to cut through a foot think limb with a battery powered sawzall when i got home. i giggled a bit then lent him my chainsaw. he said it worked much better, lol.
Wow. Any hand saw would've likely worked better than the sawzall. Some people just don't get it.

Wow. Any hand saw would've likely worked better than the sawzall. Some people just don't get it.

including a plain old bow saw.

Unless you're an actual lumberjack or something, Bow saws work just fine most the time. I can take down a 8 inch tree in about 2 minutes by hand with one without issue. That would take 10 minutes with a freakin sawzall (and 45 seconds with a chainsaw, but i dont mind the extra 1 minute)

including a plain old bow saw.

Unless you're an actual lumberjack or something, Bow saws work just fine most the time. I can take down a 8 inch tree in about 2 minutes by hand with one without issue. That would take 10 minutes with a freakin sawzall (and 45 seconds with a chainsaw, but i dont mind the extra 1 minute)

You know what's fun? The lumberjack festival in Hayward, WI. So much awesome. I love the Frankenstein chainsaws.

:lol: He was on his second battery when I showed up.

To be fair, it wasn't his place, and I don't know what kind of tools that neighbour has. He was just kid-watching for the weekend.