Ontopic <--- Serios Thread. Post your best outdoor/shop rules that work for you.

The ones that stand out to me are because of shit I've seen at work:

Find out what the proper safety gear is for whatever you're doing, wear it.

When used properly, there is no such thing as too much safety gear.

If you are working on something above you, make sure that it cannot fall on you or make sure you can move out of the way if it starts to fall on you

Disconnect whatever powers whatever you are working on (disconnect hydraulic lines, trip breakers, take the keys out of the ignition, etc)
-Make sure anyone in the area knows you are working on whatever you have disconnected so that they cannot reconnect it and hurt the shit out of you.
-Once you have disconnected something, make sure you reconnect it before you try to operate it.

Be smarter than what you're working on

Use the proper tool for the job

Make sure you know how to use the proper tool for the job

Work with a spotter if at all possible

Don't fucking wear sandals.

Don't use broken tools.

If you are moving something heavy that rolls or slides, push it, do not pull it.

Have a plan for what you're doing, make sure that plan includes what to do when shit goes wrong.

Last edited:
If someone's working:

- stand clear
- don't try to get their attention when they're in the middle of making a cut, nailing something, etc.
- don't try to help unless asked.
- When asked to help, make sure you fully understand what you're being asked to do before you start doing it.

With this ongoing barn demo / new building project, I'm sick of yelling at people.
I like you.

The ones that stand out to me are because of shit I've seen at work:

Find out what the proper safety gear is for whatever you're doing, wear it.

When used properly, there is no such thing as too much safety gear.

If you are working on something above you, make sure that it cannot fall on you or make sure you can move out of the way if it starts to fall on you

Disconnect whatever powers whatever you are working on (disconnect hydraulic lines, trip breakers, take the keys out of the ignition, etc)
-Make sure anyone in the area knows you are working on whatever you have disconnected so that they cannot reconnect it and hurt the shit out of you.
-Once you have disconnected something, make sure you reconnect it before you try to operate it.

Be smarter than what you're working on

Use the proper tool for the job

Make sure you know how to use the proper tool for the job

Work with a spotter if at all possible

Don't fucking wear sandals.

Don't use broken tools.

If you are moving something heavy that rolls or slides, push it, do not pull it.

Have a plan for what you're doing, make sure that plan includes what to do when shit goes wrong.

with electrical, even if you're sure you turned it off at the breaker, still hit it with one of these to be sure

10164.jpg

oh shit. That image is from a recall site, and thats the one i have.

Apparently its recalled for not testing voltage sometimes....

i dont think ive ever registered anything in my life.

Also, ive had that this for 10 years, and it was free through some promotion when i got it.

Ive done that too, without registering.

thats why i dont register, because it doesnt seem to matter if you do.

jesusfuckingchrist, I just came the closest to killing myself i ever have.

Went down in the basement to check on something and heard a drip drip drip. I look around, and see the hot water heater has a small puddle on it from the pipe above it. The 220v electric hot water heater.

I reach over for some paper towels and start to mop it up. The metal hot water heater, with live 220V into it. Covered in water.

About 3 seconds in, i realize my stupidity and kill the breaker, and pull the 220v cover to make sure no water got inside.

This panel, where the hot, neutral, and ground 220v wires are all exposed and only covered with wire nuts.

xm8rBGy.png

the motherfucker is filled with water. 2 inches of water filling the whole compartment, all the wires are completely underwater. 220v. underwater. bare wires.

and i touched surface water on top of the hot water heater with it still hot at the breaker. Why am i not dead (serious question... theres no reason that whole metal chassis, or on a slightly smaller scale, the whole top portion which was wet with standing water shouldnt have been at 220v.

Hot water heater is grounded through the electrical cable, plus if you've got copper pipes they're grounded too. You'll be alright.

Edit - even if the water heater wasn't grounded, there's two opposite 110v phases going into the thing. If the conductivity of the opposite phases to the water heater chassis ends up being the same, they'd cancel out, putting the chassis at neutral.

Last edited:
the metal chassis was grounded back into the cable, and even underwater a copper 10ga wire is still the path of least resistance, especially when its 1/2cm from the live wire. So the hot was probably flowing out of the wire, and straight into the ground?

Why didnt the breaker trip?

I have never done this.

I've gotten shocked a few times, it felt like everything inside my hand/arm was wiggling.

edit: it was because we were redoing our kitchen, we had the breakers for everything in that area turned off, but the people who built these townhouses were crackheads, there was a random live wire leading to nowhere just chilling in the wall, and it was on a different random breaker.

Last edited:
I've gotten shocked a few times, it felt like everything inside my hand/arm was wiggling.

edit: it was because we were redoing our kitchen, we had the breakers for everything in that area turned off, but the people who built these townhouses were crackheads, there was a random live wire leading to nowhere just chilling in the wall, and it was on a different random breaker.
Oh I've shocked myself several times. It's fairly unpleasant.
I haven't ever licked a 9-volt battery, though

i got hit with a high voltage capacitor off a ps2 once when i was modding them. I lost all feeling my arm for about 40 minutes.

That was the worst ive done, i was pretty sure id solidly fucked myself there, but it came back.