Ontopic <--- Serios Thread. Post your best outdoor/shop rules that work for you.

When I was a kid I touched an electric horse fence by accident and I remember having a black line of charcoal running down my arm, down my side, and down my leg.

Oh jesus, I once found the shell of a disposable camera, still had everything intact, but no film in it.
I pulled it apart and pulled the case off, I accidentally found the capacitor leads with my finger. That fucking thing bit real bad.

Gave it to my friend, showed him the leads, he got bit real bad, then he went around school having people touch it.
Funny shit.

Worst bite I ever got was off of my truck after I had upgraded the ignition system. It hit me so hard that I fell down.

When I was a kid I touched an electric horse fence by accident and I remember having a black line of charcoal running down my arm, down my side, and down my leg.

i think i can count the number of times i touched our electric fence on all my fingers.

gives you a nice jolt and knocks you on your ass. Does a lot worse to smaller things. We had a big bard owl land on it once, insta-dead. And a cat get stuck in it once :( Cat was ok, but that was awful.

i think i can count the number of times i touched our electric fence on all my fingers.

gives you a nice jolt and knocks you on your ass. Does a lot worse to smaller things. We had a big bard owl land on it once, insta-dead. And a cat get stuck in it once :( Cat was ok, but that was awful.

This is how I got curly hair. /s

the metal chassis was grounded back into the cable, and even underwater a copper 10ga wire is still the path of least resistance, especially when its 1/2cm from the live wire. So the hot was probably flowing out of the wire, and straight into the ground?

Why didnt the breaker trip?
Unless the ground current exceeds the circuit breaker rating, which would involve putting lots of watts into that puddle of water, the breaker won't trip. A GFI would detect it and trip, but nobody wires up a hot water heater through a GFI.

Worst shock I ever got was 400VDC, off the PFC section of a power supply I was repairing. Fucking live heatsinks. Knocked me on my ass, and I put a pretty bad gouge in my hand off the chassis when I got jolted and pulled my hand back.

We covered the need to be aware of your surroundings, right?

O5CVOD9.gif

im bad at this one ^^

Even if i fuck it up, i always try to learn something new, so maybe the second time i wont fuck it up. Otherwise id never do anything, because at some point, everything is beyond your current knowledge base.

I did the same. Barbed wire fence. I grabbed it to lean on it to watch some horses. When I woke up, my ass was about 10 feet back laying on the dirt road. No idea how long I was out.

There's a difference between not doing something beyond your current knowledge base and farming something out because it's beyond your limits.

I could rebuild a fairly simple transmission, but I would take too long and I would have to buy tools that would be expensive and for all intents and purposes, single use. My limit there is not my knowledge base, but a combination of effective use of time and the lack of specialized tools, y'know?