Ontopic Random Computer-Electronics Thread

Yo @fly and @Domon

I did a thing with my Plex TV library.

I took all of the shows that have ended and moved them to a separate directory/library. Then banged a copy off to an external drive as it's only backup. It's no longer included in the daily backup.

Just makes the active library much, much smaller. Less to backup, and less for Sonarr to scan. Because I was too lazy to go to each of those old shows and turn off monitoring.
I'm not backing up 80TB+ of disposable media. Parity helps protect against drive failure, which is enough for me.

• Gravy
Reactions: Domon and Valve1138
$30 worth of beer to trade for the dish and $140+tax for the subscription later, we're off to a great start.

Dish is in front of the house, in the middle of an empty field with zero obstacles. But it's a V1 dishy that hasn't been updated in a long ass time and apparently this is expected until it updates.

Screenshot_20240228_000827_Starlink.jpg

• Gravy
Reactions: fly and Valve1138
Better.

Screenshot_20240228_082649_Starlink.jpg

I'd rather be paying 60/mo for faster internet than this 140/mo bullshit, but hey, at least it's better than the cellphone mobile hotspot bullshit I've had to pull the last few weeks.

• Gravy
Reactions: Valve1138
Yikes. But its supposed to get better after it updates?
It didn't work at all until it updated.

The current random drops are typically what we see for day job field stuff, and stuff that gets poked in the woods with trees around is a lot worse.

Never even occurred to me that people would sell their Starlink equipment.

Quite a bit available round here. But people want $450+
Dude I scored this off bought it way back in the early days of starlink because "hey, I can use it for internet at the cottage as well as at home and bring it back and forth and it'll be better than paying two internet bills" - he did that for a while, then starlink came out with the portable one and said "nope, you can't do that anymore, sorry."

So he cancelled it entirely and it sat in his basement ever since.

• Gravy
Do you notice the service interruptions? Are they like service blackouts?

So like web browsing pauses?
Honestly I haven't really used it it properly yet - the thing updated its firmware overnight and only really started working while I slept, I hopped on and used it for daily "sitting on the shitter phone in hand seeing what's new in the world" stuff where it seemed to work half decent, and then headed into work where I'm at right now. I'll give a proper review tonight.

Or maybe the wife will text me pissed off at it, but she hasn't yet. Stepping up from mobile tethering in an area with shit cellphone service I'm sure she has zero complaints right now.

As far as day job stuff, yeah, lots of random packet loss, outages that last a few seconds, etc. In woodsy areas on cloudy days we'll often get 5-10 minute outages.

• Gravy