Ontopic Random Computer-Electronics Thread

Holy shit, it is. I thought you were being facetious. Why do that when you can get a 4K TV of the same size and get 1500 more vertical pixels
It's for taking up your peripheral vision. The extra vertical pixels would be outside the peripheral vision.

One of our code guys runs two monitors side by side in portrait orientation.

Should hook him up with some of these ultrawide things so he can do ultra tall screens.

It's for taking up your peripheral vision. The extra vertical pixels would be outside the peripheral vision.

check this out

main-qimg-a2766d8864f09f3d072cced721669f5f.webp

human vision has more than enough vertical fov to cover both the vert and the horizontal of something that size at 2ish feet away.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
check this out

main-qimg-a2766d8864f09f3d072cced721669f5f.webp

human vision has more than enough vertical fov to cover both the vert and the horizontal of something that size at 2ish feet away.
I'm sure it's possible. But mostly you want something inside your optimum area that they depict in that graphic. I can easily catch things on the side of my peripheral vision better than on the top.

Should hook him up with some of these ultrawide things so he can do ultra tall screens.
I used to do one monitor in portrait for console output. It didn't really help that much.

I'm speaking from experience, I've got a 43-inch 4K as a main screen now. All of it fits within my vision, at about 2 feet away

I'm speaking from experience, I've got a 43-inch 4K as a main screen now. All of it fits within my vision, at about 2 feet away
I'm sure it fits in your field of view. It's just that vertical isn't as rewarding. I'm not sure how to say the right words here. It's just better to go wide than big.

Beside the peripheral vision aspect. 4k would take twice the processing power.

I'm still working with one 25"? 27"? screen, but keep tossing around the idea of getting a 2nd one to do both in portrait mode. 99% of my work is legal documents and they're a lot easier to view & work with in portrait mode.

I'm sure it fits in your field of view. It's just that vertical isn't as rewarding. I'm not sure how to say the right words here. It's just better to go wide than big.

Beside the peripheral vision aspect. 4k would take twice the processing power.
Vertical can wear your neck out in some situations with all the up/down. I like 2 monitors horizontally for graphics work.

I'm still working with one 25"? 27"? screen, but keep tossing around the idea of getting a 2nd one to do both in portrait mode. 99% of my work is legal documents and they're a lot easier to view & work with in portrait mode.
Amstel - get one you can rotate. I just got an HP E202 (20", $158) but it rotates and slides up/down easily on the stand and using ctrl-alt-up or ctrl-alt-left arrow it rotates the display back/forth. Great for medical and legal docs.

• Gravy
Reactions: Amstel
Amstel - get one you can rotate. I just got an HP E202 (20", $158) but it rotates and slides up/down easily on the stand and using ctrl-alt-up or ctrl-alt-left arrow it rotates the display back/forth. Great for medical and legal docs.
I can do that now, but when I've got docs open, most of the time I have more than one open & need them side by side.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
I posted a picture of my work monitors in the pic thread (can't copy it here). The main screen is a 34" Samsung ultra wide (3440x1440) and the other monitor is a 24" 1080p monitor.

Having the ultra wide monitor is good for a few things like database views, but mostly I have it split 50/50 with code on the left and output on the right.