Ontopic Random Computer-Electronics Thread

H^3, ultrasound probe?

Wonder if a rat could be picked up by an inductance coil.

Could be. I was off base on the thermal stuff but knew there were devices that could "see through" things. X-ray, ultrasound, etc., though likely expensive.

I need to find an old comic book and order some of those x-ray specs off the back page.

• Gravy
Reactions: Strings
I've used those sonic sensor wall plug in things with success. Made all the mice run away from my detached garage.

I forgot about those things. Will look into it.

Wouldn't be nearly as much fun as blasting them right through the wall though.

Wonder if a rat could be picked up by an inductance coil.
Unfortuntately rats aren't made of metal, so no.

Plan B: buy a cheap/used microwave, cut a hole in the metal screen in the window, turn it on and place it against the wall where you suspect the rat is. Now you'll have a cooked/dead rat in the wall... wait a sec, I don't think that's a better situation.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
Unfortuntately rats aren't made of metal, so no.

More thinking of the magnetic field given off by a living body. I know there is a small one, but I don't know how sensitive the relative instrumentation has to be to pick it up.

As for your Plan B. He is already planning on shooting it in the wall. I assumed he was going to either cut out that portion of the drywall or (ick) leave it

More thinking of the magnetic field given off by a living body. I know there is a small one, but I don't know how sensitive the relative instrumentation has to be to pick it up.

As for your Plan B. He is already planning on shooting it in the wall. I assumed he was going to either cut out that portion of the drywall or (ick) leave it

I want this, but small and cheap.

x-ray-vans-police.jpg

Cops have handheld models.

https://www.policeone.com/legal/art...e-through-walls-Facts-about-the-X-ray-uproar/

Living things don't give off a magnetic field.

I s'pose in theory our nervous system uses electricity, and everywhere there's electric current there's a magnetic field (right hand rule and all) but it'll be pretty fucking negligible, and you won't be able to pick it up considering the fields given off by radio transmitters, home wiring and endless other things are going to push those magnetic fields waaaay into the noise floor.

I just hate that I have to redirect everything to ST. "Alexa, tell SmartThings to lock the front door." I understand why, but I still wanna bitch.

I actually like that system, it enables far more diverse control than if one device had to do everything.

It allows alexa to be "dumb", but act as a voice conduit to diverse smart devices.

Ideally though.... your trigger word could be "tell", then you could seamlessly talk to all your diverse devices. But that word comes up too often in conversation.

I actually like that system, it enables far more diverse control than if one device had to do everything.

It allows alexa to be "dumb", but act as a voice conduit to diverse smart devices.

Ideally though.... your trigger word could be "tell", then you could seamlessly talk to all your diverse devices. But that word comes up too often in conversation.
"Instruct"
"Command"
"Inform"
"Advise"

"Instruct"
"Command"
"Inform"
"Advise"

whats cool about the ask alexa skill is that guy is working on making it even more conversational. Like if you "tell" smartthings to do something, itll respond the equivalent of "ohhh, yes massa, right away massa" vs if you ask nicely.

• Gravy
Reactions: Ledboots
also, when you say "alexa, tell smartthings to give me a security report" or whatever, "smartthings" is completely customizable. You can have that be "my home" or "billy bob" or "fucko, the retarded cat" and it will respond equally well.

Theres no reason amazon couldnt allow complete customization of the alexa trigger word in the same way.

Apparently that capability used to exist.... and amazon blocked it.

Branding, etc etc. They dont want anyone to trigger the device without their branding.

• Gravy
Reactions: Ledboots