Ontopic Random Computer-Electronics Thread

:)

I want to be able to see the rats inside the wall so I can shoot them through it. Wall is thin old '70's paneling. I have a couple air rifles that can do that. Figured if there was a phone app or kids toy that would be good enough for super close range/thin wall.

You need a mini remote control tank.
410 gauge. With a stun gun and M&M dispenser.

• Gravy
Reactions: nukes and HipHugHer
I don't think any of these see through surfaces

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I may well be using the wrong terminology. May not be strictly thermal.

Govts had stuff that can "see through walls" for a long time now. I imagine there's civilian versions, maybe in the hunting community like night vision game cameras, or maybe some tacticool stuff they sell to preppers.

Was curious if the technology was mature enough there might be some cheap, low grade, backyard toy version.

I don't think any of these see through surfaces

I'm not sure rats would give off enough heat to be seen by a cheap thermal sensor through a piece of paper let alone paneling

but maybe the cheap ones are more sensitive than I expect them to be. let us know how it does, @HipHugHer it'll be interesting to see

An infrared camera won't give you X-ray vision through walls or anything. But if a rat's staying in once place for a while, it might make a faint warm spot on a wall.

Actually seeing into walls is more of an RF backscatter thing. The tech exists to do it, it's used in airport body scanners and some medical imaging gear. The gear is expensive, and it's probably a patent encumbered mess, but I can see it becoming available in 10-20 years. Being able to inspect inside walls to look for stud locations, insulation, plumbing, wiring, etc... would be fabulous.

I may well be using the wrong terminology. May not be strictly thermal.

Govts had stuff that can "see through walls" for a long time now. I imagine there's civilian versions, maybe in the hunting community like night vision game cameras, or maybe some tacticool stuff they sell to preppers.

Was curious if the technology was mature enough there might be some cheap, low grade, backyard toy version.

not sure what tech you're talking about that the government has...

the night vision you're thinking of - all green and tacticool looking - works on magnifying available light, you won't see behind an obstacle

An infrared camera won't give you X-ray vision through walls or anything. But if a rat's staying in once place for a while, it might make a faint warm spot on a wall.

you could even turn it around on them. put a space heater near the wall to create a warm spot, it might draw them to it and once they've established a nest you can brutally murder them in their sleep

You need a mini remote control tank.
410 gauge. With a stun gun and M&M dispenser.

Oh, I always hold back several of those umbrella type fireworks for that very thing. Got a shoulder-fired musket I made for them out of PVC pipe. I suppose I could do something similar and mount it on a little remote control monster truck or something. That would be cool.

you could even turn it around on them. put a space heater near the wall to create a warm spot, it might draw them to it and once they've established a nest you can brutally murder them in their sleep

The trick there is I can hear where they are when I can hear them, and of course you hear them and follow their movements when they're scurrying around, not when they're stationary.

Oh, I always hold back several of those umbrella type fireworks for that very thing. Got a shoulder-fired musket I made for them out of PVC pipe. I suppose I could do something similar and mount it on a little remote control monster truck or something. That would be cool.
Holy fuck, it's Carl from Caddyshack!

So some of you might remember my ceiling fan issue from a couple of months ago with z-wave. @Domon suggested that I just expand the box, but I was too lazy to do that. I just realized that the box with the fan control has another switch in it, and its the 3 way switch for the kitchen light that I won't ever use. Can I just remove the 3 way switch, tie the appropriate wires together in the box, add a second switch for the fan, and stuff it all back into the box?

So some of you might remember my ceiling fan issue from a couple of months ago with z-wave. @Domon suggested that I just expand the box, but I was too lazy to do that. I just realized that the box with the fan control has another switch in it, and its the 3 way switch for the kitchen light that I won't ever use. Can I just remove the 3 way switch, tie the appropriate wires together in the box, add a second switch for the fan, and stuff it all back into the box?
If you have a line to the box and a wire to the fan from that box, then yes. That said. Stop half assing things

• Gravy
Reactions: plot

what are you trying to do exactly? why cant you replace the current fan control switch with a zwave device?