Ontopic Random Computer-Electronics Thread

• Gravy
Reactions: plot
or you could spend 4 dollars more and buy a commercial z-wave certified garage door tilt sensor.
No, this will be connected to a relay to push the button. And I don't think tilt sensors are $8 are they?

And I might use some of the other ones to tie into the door and window sensors we have for our old alarm system.

Then again, you save TV. I don't even save it, so I suppose 720p is better than nothing

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Eww

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
Sometimes I'll pick up a hi-res if its an important movie that I want to see, but we RARELY watch movies (probably watched 6 all of last year). It certainly doesn't matter for TV. And anyone streaming off of Plex isn't getting anything better than 720p anyway. So fuck it.

• Gravy
Reactions: APRIL
One of my dog daycare clients dropped their laptop a few months ago, killing the hard drive.

Of course being the unfortunate bastard that knows a thing or two about computers, it landed in my lap. I threw in a spare 320GB HD I had kicking around, in place of the 500GB one that was in there, and installed W10 on the thing. I didn't charge anything because they give us a fair bit of business and I wasn't using the hard drive.

So the laptop lands in my hands again today. "They dropped it and think it needs a new hard drive again" - sure enough, it boots up but can't find the hard drive. Fuck people, take care of your shit.

I proposed they spend 75 bucks and I throw a SSD there instead, because it'll be quicker and hold up better to their dropping-shit habit... but no, they don't want to spend money. So I'm reinstalling Windows again on a 80GB, 5400rpm Fujitsu drive I found. It's gonna be slow, but they've been warned...
Just got a call from the GF. Guess who dropped their laptop again?

This time there's weird lines on the screen and they're wondering if I can look at it... sigh.