Food Quick cooking thread - post ingredients, get ideas.

There are crock pot adapter kits which, as near as I can tell, consist of a thermostat and a water circulator. No idea how well they work. They'd need a pretty good thermostat to keep the water temp so steady, which may or may not be realistic at the price point these things are at, and I also don't know if a crock pot heat element puts out enough energy to deal with the temp change from the addition of food.

I was reading that you can get a device that just powers the crock pot on and off to keep the temps 'steady'. Then I also found this.

Lifehacker mentioned just using a large cooler full of water. I may try that first just to see if its worth it.

edit: Whoa. That site I linked to is cool as fuck.

Last edited:
I'm making a brisket today in the dutch oven.

Brown the brisket on both sides in a little olive oil after coating it with salt and pepper.
Remove from heat.
Add in a bottle of red wine, 28oz can of crushed tomatoes, rosemary, thyme, carrots, celery, shallots, smashed garlic.
Cook in the oven at 325 for 4 hours.
:drool:

I was reading that you can get a device that just powers the crock pot on and off to keep the temps 'steady'. Then I also found this.

Lifehacker mentioned just using a large cooler full of water. I may try that first just to see if its worth it.

edit: Whoa. That site I linked to is cool as fuck.

Check with Steve D. at work, he's been talking about doing this as well.

obesitylr6.gif

Jesus tap dancing fucking christ.

You have NO FUCKING CLUE what you're talking about.

:waw: :case:
MMM SYSCO

http://www.cuisinesolutions.com/

Although vacuum-packed food has been around since the 1940s when deli meats were first vacuum-sealed, Cuisine Solutions pioneered the science of sous-vide, one of the most important innovations in modern cuisine.

Their shit distributed by SYSCO.

Yeah, I dont know what I'm talking about. :tard:

Last edited:
MMM SYSCO

http://www.cuisinesolutions.com/

Although vacuum-packed food has been around since the 1940s when deli meats were first vacuum-sealed, Cuisine Solutions pioneered the science of sous-vide, one of the most important innovations in modern cuisine.

Their shit distributed by SYSCO.

Yeah, I dont know what I'm talking about. :tard:

Of course, but not all restaurant food comes from sysco or a company like it.

This place is one of the best in town and they were bought out by Sysco. http://www.buckheadbeef.com/
I took the virginity of the daughter of the owner in the early 90's and dumped her. She was pre-med at Vanderbilt. I could be retired right now and have a lifetime supply of steaks.:(

Where do you think your "awesome" restaurant food comes from? Big tip -> Sysco

Holy fuck you may seriously be retarded when it comes to food and what I refer to as good restaurants.

Anyhow, I've had unbelievable sous vide at one of Thomas Keller's restaurants (google him ZRH). Twas a pork belly and was pretty much the best thing I've ever eaten in my life. I have his book "under pressure", which is a phenomenal sous vide guide to high end food (likely no sysco products, lol). The home kits for sous vide intrigue me, but I'm pretty impatient when it comes to cooking something for 16 hours, and I worry a bit about the plastic interaction with the food.

Last edited:
Sysco, US Food Group, and a few others supply pretty much the majority of restaurants, bars, hotels, hospitals, etc. with a good portion of their foods. Think the restaurant owner sends someone to the local food mart to pick up rice, salt, and pepper?

Some places might buy some of their meat, veggies and fruit locally, but i bet a lot of their stuff come from one of the main suppliers. Any BBQ place around here buys meat locally, but everything else in the restaurant is Sysco supplied, down to the napkins and cleaning supplies. You're fooling yourself into justifying the high prices at some 'fancy' restaurant if you think otherwise.

edit: here, read this: http://www.slate.com/articles/life/food/2007/02/every_bite_you_take.html restaurants have super thin margins, they depend on the prices of suppliers like sysco to stay in business.

Last edited: