Food Quick cooking thread - post ingredients, get ideas.

Sysco, US Food Group, and a few others supply pretty much the majority of restaurants, bars, hotels, hospitals, etc. with a good portion of their foods. Think the restaurant owner sends someone to the local food mart to pick up rice, salt, and pepper?

Some places might buy some of their meat, veggies and fruit locally, but i bet a lot of their stuff come from one of the main suppliers. Any BBQ place around here buys meat locally, but everything else in the restaurant is Sysco supplied, down to the napkins and cleaning supplies. You're fooling yourself into justifying the high prices at some 'fancy' restaurant if you think otherwise.

edit: here, read this: http://www.slate.com/articles/life/food/2007/02/every_bite_you_take.html restaurants have super thin margins, they depend on the prices of suppliers like sysco to stay in business.

No one is really denying that tho.

No one is really denying that tho.
Pardon me? I said I'd had sous vide from the company that developed the technique, who happens to supply Sysco. Then you assholes jumped all over me for goggling shit and accusing me that I've never tried it. Then as soon as I proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that Sysco does in fact supply sous vide meat you started accusing me of saying all resturants use it. Maybe everyone should just stop jumping all over what YOU THINK I said and actually read it.

Sysco does supply a lot of resturants. You don't have any problems believing that 99% of your meat comes from factory farms, why is it so hard to believe that 99% of your prepared food comes from huge nameless factories and is delivered by US Food Service or Sysco?

Btw, I only bothered to look at this stuff a couple years ago because a Sysco reefer truck broke down and they gave us two entire pallets of frozen food. A lot of it was pretty good, there were entire boxes of various entrees and flash frozen vegetables and cakes. It wasn't TV dinner quality either, it actually tasted like real goddamn food when you cooked it.

Holy fuck you may seriously be retarded when it comes to food and what I refer to as good restaurants.

Anyhow, I've had unbelievable sous vide at one of Thomas Keller's restaurants (google him ZRH). Twas a pork belly and was pretty much the best thing I've ever eaten in my life. I have his book "under pressure", which is a phenomenal sous vide guide to high end food (likely no sysco products, lol). The home kits for sous vide intrigue me, but I'm pretty impatient when it comes to cooking something for 16 hours, and I worry a bit about the plastic interaction with the food.
...I don't think you could've come up with a worse example.

http://newyork.grubstreet.com/2007/01/in_his_cookbook_bouchon_thomas.html

In his cookbook Bouchon, Thomas Keller explains how to make the perfect French fries, instructing readers to hand-cut and then refrigerate russet potatoes submerged in water for several hours. As it turns out, Keller isn’t going to quite so much trouble at his Bouchon Bistros: A tipster told us he uses Sysco fries, and though a rep from the restaurant didn’t offer the brand name, she did confirm, after speaking with Keller, that he favors frozens.

YES THOMAS KELLER GROUP INC. uses "(likely no sysco products, lol)"

Yup.

...I don't think you could've come up with a worse example.

http://newyork.grubstreet.com/2007/01/in_his_cookbook_bouchon_thomas.html

In his cookbook Bouchon, Thomas Keller explains how to make the perfect French fries, instructing readers to hand-cut and then refrigerate russet potatoes submerged in water for several hours. As it turns out, Keller isn’t going to quite so much trouble at his Bouchon Bistros: A tipster told us he uses Sysco fries, and though a rep from the restaurant didn’t offer the brand name, she did confirm, after speaking with Keller, that he favors frozens.

YES THOMAS KELLER GROUP INC. uses "(likely no sysco products, lol)"

Yup.

a tipster! anonymous! from 5 years ago! fantastic source, thanks!

have you been to his bistros, or just read about them from your basement?

Last edited:
a tipster! anonymous! from 5 years ago! fantastic source, thanks!

have you been to his bistros, or just read about them from your basement?
can you seriously not read?

"a rep from the restaurant didn’t offer the brand name, she did confirm, after speaking with Keller, that he favors frozens."

Last edited:
Pardon me? I said I'd had sous vide from the company that developed the technique, who happens to supply Sysco. Then you assholes jumped all over me for goggling shit and accusing me that I've never tried it. Then as soon as I proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that Sysco does in fact supply sous vide meat you started accusing me of saying all resturants use it. Maybe everyone should just stop jumping all over what YOU THINK I said and actually read it.

Sysco does supply a lot of resturants. You don't have any problems believing that 99% of your meat comes from factory farms, why is it so hard to believe that 99% of your prepared food comes from huge nameless factories and is delivered by US Food Service or Sysco?

Btw, I only bothered to look at this stuff a couple years ago because a Sysco reefer truck broke down and they gave us two entire pallets of frozen food. A lot of it was pretty good, there were entire boxes of various entrees and flash frozen vegetables and cakes. It wasn't TV dinner quality either, it actually tasted like real goddamn food when you cooked it.

Yeah.....we don't use Sysco so we actually have real fancy restaurants. Argument nulled.

Yeah.....we don't use Sysco so we actually have real fancy restaurants. Argument nulled.
:whoosh: not even what I was talking about. Let's go through it step by step for you.

I said "it doesn't seem worth the effort for meat". Which is a PURELY SUBJECTIVE OPINION. Maybe your time is worth shit because you are a wage slave who will never get ahead in life.

Initial question:
For meat, if you cook it sous vide then normally you'd sear afterwards. Where did you try it?
I said I'd had some from Sysco. Who coincidentally delivers it from the company THAT DEVELOPED THE TECHNIQUE.

You replied:
So not worth it, which is why michelin star chefs use it as a form of precise cooking. :lol:
Which was COMPLETELY OFF TOPIC. I never mentioned 1) gourmet cooking 2) the relative accuracy of the technique. Only that I'd had some and didn't like it.

You are so keen to find something wrong with everything I say you are making up shit as you go along.

In addition: NYC Has no fine dining, and the UK is WORLD RENOWNED for it's vernacular food preparation.

Who the fuck is living in fantasy land here?

ETA: I'm sorry. That shouldn't say "fine dining" it should be "real fancy restaurants".

Last edited:
:whoosh: not even what I was talking about. Let's go through it step by step for you.

I said "it doesn't seem worth the effort for meat". Which is a PURELY SUBJECTIVE OPINION. Maybe your time is worth shit because you are a wage slave who will never get ahead in life.

:lol:

Yes subjective. Except you're disagreeing with the masters of cooking. So you're going to look stupid, although you already have so that point is redundant.

Well done on winning at life btw and not being 'a wage slave'. I guess doing jack shit and waiting for people to die is the best to be.