Ontopic Pop culture questions on the SATs

Should there be pop culture questions on the SATs

• Yes having a wide area of knowledge should be required

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • This isn't Jeopardy. I don't think kids should be tested about who bagged Snooki.

Votes: 10 83.3%
  • Doesn't bother me since the young generation is jacked

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • I'm don't even know what the SATs are

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
People can end up in a position needing government assistance without any wrongdoing on their behalf. I would hate to force someone into the military just to survive.

So paying for the "common good" isn't doing something. Gotcha.

Funny how your core beliefs can be adjusted as necessary. Insert church lady here.

Funny how your core beliefs can be adjusted as necessary. Insert church lady here.

Come on dude. There an obvious different from taxes to physically forcing someone to do something.

I have no problem with taxes because it's only far to give back to a system that made it possible for you to receive in the first place. How much you give back is a completely other debate.

there have been taxes to support the common good of the country since its' inception

I saw that and left it as is. I was talking about a time machine needed to fix what happened then. it's just as pointless to speculate on our future as to wonder what if gore the douche, but far more intelligent of the 2 candidates, had become president. I don't think any of us has much control over it at this point.

Come on dude. There an obvious different from taxes to physically forcing someone to do something.

I have no problem with taxes because it's only far to give back to a system that made it possible for you to receive in the first place. How much you give back is a completely other debate.
So doing service for the government isn't giving back to that same system?

The point is that paying taxes is still doing something. You now want to qualify it with physically forcing someone to do something. The point remains that your core belief is not about forcing someone to do something they don't want to do, it's about forcing people to do something that you don't agree with.

And requiring service for benefits does not force anyone to do anything. The service would then be entirely voluntary. Your mistake is in thinking that government - and thus, the rest of the citizens that fund it - owes them something. The world owes you absolutely jack squat.

Last edited:
That has nothing to do with the argument. Technically there's been a policy of conscription in this country since its inception as well so the point is moot.

we saw how well involuntary servitude worked in the slave days and then again in vietnam. between the two there has been serious friction, quite often violent, for almost the entire history of the country.

taxation has very much shaped the history of the country though. we were founded on it. it's extremely relevant to the conversation. still a sore subject to this day, obviously.

we saw how well involuntary servitude worked in the slave days and then again in vietnam. between the two there has been serious friction, quite often violent, for almost the entire history of the country.

taxation has very much shaped the history of the country though. we were founded on it. it's extremely relevant to the conversation. still a sore subject to this day, obviously.
jesus fuck dude

I'm not arguing for a draft, I'm saying that pointing out that taxes have existed since the beginning is utterly meaningless to the points I was making. It has nothing to do with my own views on either conscription or taxes but rather his claim that making people do something they don't want to do - and taxes qualify - being against his core beliefs is not true unless you conveniently qualify it with some exceptions. The actual justifications, rationale or details of those taxes are irrelevant because I'm challenging his beliefs, not the policy itself.

I could have brought up making kids go to school. There's an exception even though they're still people. Or I could have said making people immunize their kids, which some idiots argue against. The point is that his belief can't possibly be as black and white as he suggested it and since it's open to exceptions then he needs to present a more cogent argument against what others suggested besides "hell no it's wrong".

Last edited:
I'm dying to hear the logic behind this one.

this:
I've read somethings that agree with that thought. They should go to voctech / trade schools instead so they learn an employable skill and not just earn a debt.

I work at an art college and see kids graduate 40K+ in debt with degrees in painting or sculpting that work as waiters between art shows.

shitton of people out there with "some college" or with degrees and no actual skills for any real world job. technical training, on the job training, etc. would be a better route. SATs/ACT scores could be looked at by companies to figure out a persons aptitude and train them to do what was necessary. The real world gets exactly what it needs and the person doesn't end up in debt getting there... after that, people can further their careers with certs, on the job experience, etc.

and if the recession has taught most big businesses anything, its that 90% of middle management simply isn't needed. we eliminated over half of ours and things have never run smoother... those are positions that will never be refilled, simply gone for good. jobs that no longer exist because they were fluff to begin with. so much for most of those business degrees or liberal arts.

40k in student loans with zero return on investment... ugh.

ahh ok. i can agree with that, though I'd rather find a way for more people to an education without acquiring a butt ton of debt.

jesus fuck dude

I'm not arguing for a draft, I'm saying that pointing out that taxes have existed since the beginning is utterly meaningless to the points I was making. It has nothing to do with my own views on either conscription or taxes but rather his claim that making people do something they don't want to do - and taxes qualify - being against his core beliefs is not true unless you conveniently qualify it with some exceptions. The actual justifications, rationale or details of those taxes are irrelevant because I'm challenging his beliefs, not the policy itself.

I could have brought up making kids go to school. There's an exception even though they're still people. Or I could have said making people immunize their kids, which some idiots argue against. The point is that his belief can't possibly be as black and white as he suggested it and since it's open to exceptions then he needs to present a more cogent argument against what others suggested besides "hell no it's wrong".

Yeah because that's the only thing I said :tard:

I read that they've added pop culture questions to the test. There was a ton of complains that there were reality TV show questions. I think it's BS that they were on there at all. What are your thoughts?

WHAT? That's fucking bullship!

CALL THE DEA!!